Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 09-27-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: A Conversation With An Ex-Marine

[ QUOTE ]
Why would the Defense Dept., which I believe is the biggest most unwieldy department of the federal gov't., be more efficient than any other dept.?

[/ QUOTE ]
The military rewards productivity better than other govt entity. Hence, there is greater incentive to excel. Other govt agencies don't have this advantage. On the other side of the coin, the military has the power to punish ineffciency.....the other govt agencies protect their incompetant slackers...

But I suppose we could completely outsource our military to the private sector like Blackwater. But I prefer the status quo.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why would the Defense Dept., which I believe is the biggest most unwieldy department of the federal gov't., be more efficient than any other dept.?

[/ QUOTE ]
The military rewards productivity better than other govt entity. Hence, there is greater incentive to excel. Other govt agencies don't have this advantage. On the other side of the coin, the military has the power to punish ineffciency.....the other govt agencies protect their incompetant slackers...

But I suppose we could completely outsource our military to the private sector like Blackwater. But I prefer the status quo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow Felix, its hard for me to believe you actually think this, being that you are former military officer. I guess you are maybe you are talking more to the small unit level, in which case I tend to agree more with you but once you start getting into the upper level stuff, you are definitely wrong.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow Felix, its hard for me to believe you actually think this, being that you are former military officer. I guess you are maybe you are talking more to the small unit level, in which case I tend to agree more with you but once you start getting into the upper level stuff, you are definitely wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
The power to punish and the power to reward is what makes the private sector more effcient than the govt. Even with this power, private companies will sometimes grow incompetant, ineffcient, and go bankrupt.

The military has more power to reward/punish performance more than any other govt entity. Therefore they are more effcient than other govt entities. But like private sector organizations, the military is not immune to incompetance. I made no assertions that the military is immune to occasional incompetance.... Also political interference will often cause the military to make ineffcient decisions on weapon systems to keep certain congressman/senators happy...
Old 09-27-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't this lend credence to the conclusion that conservatives' faith that, while our government screws everything up domestically, our military does a fantastic job, is chemerical?

[/ QUOTE ]

The military is fantastic at doing its job...but its job is to kill people and break stuff. It doesn't seem to be as skilled at doing things that aren't its job.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Former" Marine. No such thing as an ex-Marine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Retired Marine?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:32 PM

He looked as if he was 21 but since he was in Gulf War 1, he must have been older..... I didn't ask him his age. He got recalled and was in the occupation after Gulf War2 as well.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The power to punish and the power to reward is what makes the private sector more effcient than the govt. Even with this power, private companies will sometimes grow incompetant, ineffcient, and go bankrupt.

The military has more power to reward/punish performance more than any other govt entity. Therefore they are more effcient than other govt entities. But like private sector organizations, the military is not immune to incompetance. I made no assertions that the military is immune to occasional incompetance.... Also political interference will often cause the military to make ineffcient decisions on weapon systems to keep certain congressman/senators happy...

[/ QUOTE ]

The legal staffs of the various government agencies are both extremely efficient and a great resume builder for private sector jobs. Eg. 5 years as a senior lawyer or actuary in the EP/EO divisions of the IRS or PBGC are tickets to partnership/directorship in the major accounting firm's consulting divisions.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:51 AM

First, I'm astounded that anyone knew what "chemerical" meant. Sorry for that typo.

The military's job is not to kill people and break stuff. It's called the Department of Defense. It's supposed to make us safer. That sometimes means killing people and breaking stuff but it rarely means only that.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The military's job is not to kill people and break stuff. It's called the Department of Defense. It's supposed to make us safer. That sometimes means killing people and breaking stuff but it rarely means only that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps an oversimplification, but Military defense typically implies that as opposed to foreign relations or law-enforcement.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Former" Marine. No such thing as an ex-Marine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Retired Marine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once a Marine, always a Marine. DUCY now?