Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 10:25 AM

Default 50nl - AJ flops TP getting donked pot into

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $46.95
BB: $55.05
UTG: $36.10
Hero (BTN): $49.75

Reads: <font color="blue">new to the tabe so no reads on villain. but hes bought in full and hasnt done anything nutty so far.</font>

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.50</font>, SB calls $2.25, 2 folds

Flop: ($6) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $5.00</font>, Hero...

whats my plan for the rest of the hand, none of my options seem great:

i can raise, but i hate folding to a shove since he could easily do this with a FD or maybe a weaker J.

i hate raising and calling a shove with AJ TPTK against an unkown.

and just callign lets him draw for free. so whats your play and why?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Re: 50nl - AJ flops TP getting donked pot into

I dont think he's donking here with a draw. Fish tend to do this with any top pair, but since he's unknown, who knows. The size of the bet certainly gives the impression that he has a made hand to protect.

I think I'm raising to 15ish and folding to a push. Depending on how bad he is you might get value from KJ/QJ/J10. If he pushes its safe to say he has 33, 55, AJd, AK/AQd, maybe even A2d or A4d if he's a fish. More likely a set tho.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 AM

This is really a much tougher spot than it seems. I've been in this same spot, got in AI on the flop and been shown QQ-AA making a vn play. The problem is so many other hands lead this semi-dry flop (that an open raiser probably missed). MPs, Jx, a set, a huge draw(FD+SD) and 2 pair (though unlikely given the texture).

This is a raise/fold IMO, given the size of the bet and the draws. I don't want to be calling down bets on the turn and river with a 22bb pot after the flop.

Honestly, depending on the player, I might just fold this. I don't have enough invested to be playing for stacks with TPTK when I could very well be far behind, or be only slightly ahead of a big draw (KQd,KJd,46d)
Old 09-19-2007, 11:02 AM

Calling doesn't let him draw for free, he's already paying $5 for it. I think I'd call and reevaluate depending on what hit and how much he bet. On blank turns I'd bet if checked to and call/fold depending on how much he bet. If a flush card hit and he bet I'd be done with it unless he bet really small, in which case I'd probably call.

If checked to on a diamond turn I think I'd bet as well and then not put any more money in the pot. I think it's hard to get more than 1 street of value once the flush hits, and we obviously won't get that value when he has a worse J and a 4th diamond hits on the river. We also avoid an annoying river decision that way.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:12 AM

If you raise, don't fold to a shove.

I typically raise/call or shove turn. QQ/KK/AA are unlikely and we are only really beaten by 33/55/46[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]/stuff like that. (maybe a random JJ sometimes).
Old 09-19-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you raise, don't fold to a shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

This is a call/ re-eval spot.

Folding sucks.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:34 AM

I think a raise only folds out better hands, and if we have to fold to a shove that would be frustrating.
A fold is very weak.

So, I think a call is in order. If he bets pot again, I'll fold.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:56 AM

thanks for the replies!

ok i decided just to call and re-eval the turn, see what he does

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.50</font>, SB calls $2.25, 2 folds

Flop: ($6) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $5.00</font>, Hero calls $5.00

Turn: ($16) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $15.00</font>, Hero...

shove or fold? villain only has $25 left.

hes still betting v.strong, seems like hes protecting a made hand or really wants a fold
Old 09-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Gotta fold. You realy only beat weaker Jacks.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:36 PM

yeah i agree i'd fold turn here.

the actual turn was different, just wondering what people do on a blank turn facing another PSB

<font color="red">SB bets $5.00</font>, Hero calls $5.00

Turn: ($16) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $15.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $42.25</font>, SB calls all-in for $24.45
Uncalled bet of $2.80 returned to Hero

River: ($94.90) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $94.90 ($2 Rake)

SB had K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (two pair, Kings and Jacks) and LOST (-$46.95)
Hero had A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Jacks) and WON (+$45.95)

at the time I didnt really factor in the possibility of an overpair tbh.

cheers for the replies