Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Introducing a kid to good music

I never really paid critical attention to music until a year or two ago; I was just one of those people who listened to whatever was on the radio and was content with it. Now I get a lot of pleasure out of good bands, well-written lyrics, etc. and I can't imagine living without some of my favorite songs.

So, I have some younger siblings (the ones I'm talking about here are 5 and 8 y/o) who are basically in the same position I was. They are intelligent, critical, and would recognize quality music if they were exposed to it and developed their tastes. I'd like to help them out, to see that they're introduced to the good stuff earlier than I was. (Our mom is no help: she's an aerobics instructor and just listens to those awful sped-up techno covers of pop songs that are used in her classes).

But I don't really know how to go about it. I would feel weird just handing my 8 year-old sister an Arcade Fire cd and saying 'listen to this,' for example. Would it be better to start with older, influential stuff, or... well, I don't know, that's why I'm asking you guys. Is there a standard plan of education for this kind of thing? If you met an extraterrestrial or an Amish person or a kid and wanted to introduce him/her to the spectrum of modern music, how would you go about it?

cliff notes: just read the last sentence, or the thread title
Old 09-09-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Introducing a kid to good music

I have taken my brother under my wing a long time ago, I just talk to him, and explain stuff (poker, sportsbetting, girls, friends etc)....sounds scary doesnt it? but I wish I had someone to teach me at the age of 13 how to do that stuff, so I figure its alright. In regards to music, take them for a drive, or hang out w/ them at your house and have the music playing, then just explain who it is, and why they are important etc.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:24 PM

Just play different stuff until they ask about it. They won't enjoy it if you're forcing it on them, just like kids and books or kids and vegetables. <u>They need to think it's their idea.</u> That's how kids work.

If your taste in music is as good as you think it is then you have a large library of stuff from different genres and not just the latest indie rock darlings. Spend lots of time with them and play random things. Eventually you'll get a feel for what they like and you can tell them about it and play more stuff along the lines of what they like. Once they get a little older they'll start seeking out new stuff.

Remember though that some people just don't care. I've gone this route with people before. Some people end up turning into music freaks and others are happy to continue listening to Mtv. Don't be a dick and think less of your siblings if they just want to listen to top 40. All you can do is give them a chance. And remember that forcing stuff on them will just push them away.

Be aware though that they sound like they're too young to really appreciate the subtle differences between good and bad music. Plus peer pressure is very strong at that age so they're going to be pressured to listen to what their friends listen to, which is going to be Mtv/Clear Channel.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If your taste in music is as good as you think it is

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, it's nothing special, I'm still learning every day. I don't want to give the wrong impression that I am an expert or anything.

I understand what you're saying, Mason, and believe me, I won't force it, or do anything to make them resentful. On the other hand, this whole idea is that I want to do a little more than what would happen 'naturally,' since our family doesn't seriously listen to music (and that's why I never got any exposure).
Old 09-09-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If your taste in music is as good as you think it is

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, it's nothing special, I'm still learning every day. I don't want to give the wrong impression that I am an expert or anything.

I understand what you're saying, Mason, and believe me, I won't force it, or do anything to make them resentful. On the other hand, this whole idea is that I want to do a little more than what would happen 'naturally,' since our family doesn't seriously listen to music (and that's why I never got any exposure).

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i didn't mean for that to come off as too condescending [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

haha, anyway, yeah, just always play sweet music around them. they'll hear something they like eventually. just having them around stuff they wouldn't normally will eventually get them curious.

i'm sure even if you look at yourself you'll see that it didn't take someone sitting you down and saying "hey this is good." i'm going to guess is that all it took was some exposure and you chose to take it from there.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:40 PM

One word: melody.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:43 PM

Pretty much what mason said.

Also, (and this may be super-obvious) you're gonna want to go with poppier stuff. Eight-year olds aren't going to dig Sonic Youth or Animal Collective or whatever. Older stuff like The Beatles and The Beach Boys is probably going to be your best bet.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:50 PM

just play them the beatles over and over again. seriously.

when i was a kid (like 10 y/o) my parents had some old beatles records lying around and i'd listen to em sometimes. i didn't know anything about the band at all, i didn't really care either, i was only a kid. anyway, as i got older i started actually caring about music, but i kinda forgot about the beatles, and throughout my teenage years i never really went back to them. it wasn't until college that i "discovered" them again, and suddenly they dominated my cd player for months at a time. it was like all those melodies that i heard years earlier were dormant seeds that'd been germinating for all that time and finally sprouted.

whatever, nevermind the clumsy metaphor, just get the beatles inside their heads, they'll appreciate you for it.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

when i was a kid (like 10 y/o) my parents had some old beatles records lying around and i'd listen to em sometimes. i didn't know anything about the band at all, i didn't really care either, i was only a kid. anyway, as i got older i started actually caring about music, but i kinda forgot about the beatles, and throughout my teenage years i never really went back to them. it wasn't until college that i "discovered" them again, and suddenly they dominated my cd player for months at a time. it was like all those melodies that i heard years earlier were dormant seeds that'd been germinating for all that time and finally sprouted.

whatever, nevermind the clumsy metaphor, just get the beatles inside their heads, they'll appreciate you for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-10-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]