Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 10:03 AM

Default Need help with new monitor

I use a Dell Inspiron 8500 notebook. It works perfectly. I decided I wanted a new monitor because I was tired of multi-tabling on my laptop's small screen. I purchased the Dell 2407WFP-HC 24" and connected it to my computer and it works just fine. I just have a few questions:

The monitor recommends running at 1920 x 1200. I use the nVidea GeForce4 4200 Go video card that my laptop came with and the highest resolution I can set my laptop to is 1680 x 1050, which is what I currently have it set on. The CD that came with the monitor recommended I upgrade my video card's drivers to hopefully be able to use the monitor at it's optimal resolution.

I downloaded the current patch from nVidea's Web site but when I go to install it, an error message comes up, telling me the installation cannot find the necessary hardware on my computer to continue with installation. I am sure of the exact video card I have and I am positive I downloaded the correct patch. Any suggestions on where to go from here?
I have one further question. I"m hoping this one has an easy fix.

When I open a video program and begin to play a video (Windows Media Player and InterVideo WinDVD) the video is immediately and automatically presented in full screen on my large monitor and the regular laptop screen shows a "normal" setup (open program, desktop on the background, start menu at the bottom, etc.). I am unable to get the full screen video off my large monitor without closing the program enirely on my laptop screen. I want to be able to watch videos and run other applications on my new monitor. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you.

--Eric Hammond--

I understand you may need more information to help me with this problem. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer all to my best ability. Thanks so much!
Old 08-15-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Need help with new monitor

as for resizing your other moniter, it's a know problem w/ dell laptops that I don't think has been fixed yet:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post11628171

as for the video problem, theres an option within the nvidia control panel I believe that is probably enabled that forces video playing in a window to full screen, don't have time to search for it now, but you should find it just looking through the sections.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the heads up about Dell laptops not supporting the 1900 x 1200 resolution. Do you know if they have any plans to release drivers that would allow this capability?

I am still having the same video problem. I went to Control Panel> NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager and couldn't find anything that would fix the problem. I actually don't know where else to look for options regarding my nVidia card. When you have time, could you search for it?

I might be looking in the wrong place.

Thanks again.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:22 PM

Install the latest drivers from the Dell site, NOT the Nvidia site.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Install the latest drivers from the Dell site, NOT the Nvidia site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Went to the Dell web site and found that I had the latest drivers installed. They have yet to release one for my graphics card that supports the higher resolution.

I still would like help with my second problem though.

Thank you.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:00 PM

that cards is really old, I couldn't find any specs on supported resolutions.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:22 PM

I'm no longer worried about the resolution. I'll have to wait until Dell upgrades the drivers or until I buy a new computer. Not a problem.

Does anyone have any idea though why any video I play is presented automatically fullscreen on my monitor while my laptop screen remains unchanged?

I have yet to figure out how to both watch video and run other programs on my large monitor screen?

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-18-2007, 06:57 PM

bump
Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 PM

Problems solved. Thanks all.