Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Leasing A Motorcycle

Thinking about leasing one for three months when the weather is really nice here in Chicago.

Anyone have any experience with this?
What kind of prices would I be looking at for a 3-month lease?

*I'm talking about the sporty motor cycles not harleys and such.

Discuss.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Leasing A Motorcycle

I've never heard of dealers leasing motorcycles. None of the dealers near me do that. How long have you been a rider?
Old 08-02-2007, 03:33 PM

yeah do you have a motorcycle license?

i've never heard of many places doing a 3-month lease...especially for bikes.

(also, people that end their posts with "Discuss." come across as huge douchebags, particularly when they are looking for advice and not really a discussion.)
Old 08-02-2007, 03:41 PM

ummm, you might want to look into learning how to ride before thinking about leasing one. the fact that you would think about leasing a bike for 3 months over the summer shows me that you have never ridden. people that think they'll just hop on one and cruise around are the ones who end up dead.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:05 PM

I took a week long safety course to get my license. I would highly recommend something like that.

You can also get a small sporty used bike in good shape for like $2000. Just buy one.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:15 PM

I was under the impression that it doesn't take that long to get a motorcycle liscense, so why is that an issue here?

"people that think they'll just hop on one and cruise around are the ones who end up dead"

lol, wtf

"I took a week long safety course to get my license. I would highly recommend something like that."

Thanks, I'd definitely look into doing something like that.

So the consensus is that bikes typically aren't leased? What immediate reduction in price would I be looking at if I bought one and sold it three months later?

I would think that leasing these things would be a great idea. Afterall, who the [censored] wants to own one in a place where the weather is cold majority of the time? I would think leasing would be the perfect thing to do for anyone living in the northern half of the US.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:16 PM

Also... $2,000? The ones I've looked at online are north of 5k easy.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that it doesn't take that long to get a motorcycle liscense, so why is that an issue here?

"people that think they'll just hop on one and cruise around are the ones who end up dead"

lol, wtf

"I took a week long safety course to get my license. I would highly recommend something like that."

Thanks, I'd definitely look into doing something like that.

So the consensus is that bikes typically aren't leased? What immediate reduction in price would I be looking at if I bought one and sold it three months later?

I would think that leasing these things would be a great idea. Afterall, who the [censored] wants to own one in a place where the weather is cold majority of the time? I would think leasing would be the perfect thing to do for anyone living in the northern half of the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so they lease it to you for the summer, the best time to use it. And then what, keep it in a warehouse all winter?

This is what makes me think that leasing would either not exist or be prohibitively expensive.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:39 PM

It's not like leasing and selling are mutually exclusive. Lease them over the summer and then mark them down and sell them in the winter. And if you don't want someone to mark down a new bike that just came out then only let them lease the year-old models.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:42 PM

Even if someone was willing to do such a short-term lease, the insurance that you'd have to carry would be really expensive. Most shops won't even let people test-drive motorcycles because it's so easy to damage them (just getting off it wrong and dropping it can do lots of damage to a fancy bike).

If you really want to do this, take the safety course ASAP. At the end of it, you'll take a written test and have a learner's permit. Then go buy a used bike (there's tons on craigslist) for like $500 and ride that. At the end of the summer, just sell it to someone else. Generally you can sell an older bike for the same that you paid for it (unless you [censored] it up) so you may not take any loss at all. Even if you have to cut the price down because you are selling in the fall, whatever hit you take is still going to be way less than you'd pay to lease a new bike.

Either way you do it, you don't want to start riding on a brand-new fancy sportbike.