Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 07-09-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: TV Pundits, Commentators and Anchors

[ QUOTE ]

Denny Miller never disappoints me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he's entertaining to an extent. But be honest, can you understand what the hell he's talking about? He likes to use pretty strange analogies if you ask me, and plenty of them. He's a trip.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:55 PM

Chris Matthews of 'Hardball' is among the best in the business both in interviewing the pundits and doing political analysis. His questions are poignant and his analysis and understanding of events from both a right and left perspective is fairly unique in the business. He ticks off both liberal and conservative watchdog groups, so he's probably doing something right.

I like Tucker Carlson of MSNBC a close second. He makes no bones about being a conservative, however is thoughtful and understanding of the Left's perspective. He saves the grandstanding for the O'Reilly's of the television world.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he's entertaining to an extent. But be honest, can you understand what the hell he's talking about? He likes to use pretty strange analogies if you ask me, and plenty of them. He's a trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know you're in trouble when he goes, "That's like when the Pelleponesians ..."
Old 07-10-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I catch about 90% of Miller's references. The other 10% sail over my head. I think my .900 batting average ranks me among the league leaders. Often, a joke is primarily funny because I know I'm the only guy in the room who gets it.

As for analogies, Miller can't go five minutes without using my favorite joke structure: "A makes B look like C." Like, "Duluth is so cold, they make Minneapolis look like Miami."

That works for me every time. Miller steps it up a notch, though, and would say something like, "He makes Hirohito look like Chamberlain."
Old 07-10-2007, 12:49 AM

Dana Carvey did a hilarious Dennis Miller impression when both were on SNL. He said not even Miller understood most of his own references.

"What am I, Kowhaacko over here? Who am I, Quintibulous The Slew-Footed One? What? What?"
Old 07-10-2007, 01:33 PM

Huge fan of Tim Russert and The McLaughlin Group.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 PM

I like Russert on cnbc, when he has an hour to actually go into some depth.
Stephanapoulous ( [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] lol) is watchable on sunday mornings.
Mahar makes me laugh, and usually has a decent point of view.
As a rule, the cnn + fox commentators are useless.
And I remember when O'reilly was the lead trash man on "inside edition". Not much has changed.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:34 AM

Youtalkfunny -

[ QUOTE ]

As for analogies, Miller can't go five minutes without using my favorite joke structure: "A makes B look like C." Like, "Duluth is so cold, they make Minneapolis look like Miami."

That works for me every time. Miller steps it up a notch, though, and would say something like, "He makes Hirohito look like Chamberlain."

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! After reading your post (and DrewDevil's reference) I'm starting to think that I've not fully appreciated Dennis Miller's gift. I think from now on I'll try to look at him with a more appreciative eye.

Kickabuck-

[ QUOTE ]
Chris Matthews of 'Hardball' is among the best in the business both in interviewing the pundits and doing political analysis. His questions are poignant and his analysis and understanding of events from both a right and left perspective is fairly unique in the business. He ticks off both liberal and conservative watchdog groups, so he's probably doing something right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is true. I too like Chris Matthews. His questions are really solid and I agree that he makes a point of coming at the issues from both sides. The guy is squirrelly. You cannot peg him. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he used to be more liberal?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:21 PM

Hello katyseagull, yes I think it is fair to say that as a younger man Chris was a liberal. He worked for Tip O'Neill(former Dem speaker of the House) for six years and was a speech writer for Jimmy Carter.

This is pure speculation on my part(based on my observation of him during this era), but I think his party willfully ignoring rampant campaign funding irregularities that were commonplace in the Clinton era(and many other scurrilous activities, including some which got Cinton disbarred in Arkansas and necessitated his resignation from the Supreme Court bar) really dampened his enthusiasm for the Democratic party and is much of the reason he voted for Bush as opposed to Gore in 2000. I believe he is still a liberal at heart on most issues, save the gun issue and some conservative tendencies arising from his Catholicism.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:55 PM

Which commentators do you like whose viewpoint/worldview is opposed to your own?

I can't think of one.