Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Jerry Falwell dies....

Good riddance.

(did a search and, suprisingly, didn't see anything on this)

b
Old 05-16-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Jerry Falwell dies....

I don't know much about the guy. Want to tell me why you hated him? that would probably be good.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:46 PM

Check out the big thread in OOT about it, Katie.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:49 PM

http://wonkette.com/politics/dept'-of-ju...ival-260639.php

dept. of just rewards
God Angrily Awaiting Jerry Falwell's Arrival
Jerry Falwell collapsed in his office this morning, and he’s in the hospital, and he’s “gravely unresponsive.”

At a time like this, people deserve sympathy and good wishes … except for Falwell, who is an evil sonofabitch. Over his long career as a vile televangelist building an empire of bigotry from the donations of poor people, Falwell has supported South African apartheid, called AIDS an invention of Jesus to punish gays, attacked Martin Luther King and U.S. civil rights, and blamed 9/11 on feminists and homosexuals.

Reached in Heaven, the Lord God said he was “looking forward to speaking to Jerry,” and that God’s loyal lieutenant Satan Von Lucifer would “go Abu Ghraib on his fat ass for the next 10 million years.”
Old 05-16-2007, 05:51 PM

SMP thread

NVG thread

OOT thread
Old 05-16-2007, 05:57 PM

katy,

[ QUOTE ]

January 1999: Falwell tells a pastors’ conference in Kingsport, Tenn., that the Antichrist prophesied in the Bible is alive today and “of course he’ll be Jewish.”

February 1999: Falwell becomes the object of nationwide ridicule after his National Liberty Journal newspaper issues a “parents alert” warning that Tinky Winky, a character on the popular PBS children’s show “Teletubbies,” might be gay.

September 2001: Falwell blames Americans for the 9/11 terrorist attacks. “The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the Pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say, ‘You helped this happen.’”

November 2005: Falwell spearheads campaign to resist “war on Christmas.”

February 2007: Falwell describes global warming as a conspiracy orchestrated by Satan, liberals, and The Weather Channel.

[/ QUOTE ]

just a small section of his history
Old 05-16-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much about the guy. Want to tell me why you hated him? that would probably be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

allow me.
I was thinking of starting a post on evil anyway. Truly was. There are those who meet most everyones' definition of evil. Saddam Hussein, Hitler, Idi Amin, numerous African dictators. They either killed directly or ordered it.
The next level of evil are the haters. Especially those who cloak their hate behind a religion. Falwell was a rabble rouser. He led/persuaded a huge group of shallow thinkers. Those who find it easier to follow. I would hope most religious followers are seeking a path of peace and kindness as I am pretty sure Jesus suggested.
Falwell found a way to include his hatred in that. His goal was closer to that of the Taliban than the goals of Jesus H. Christ. Was he evil? probably.
Some might define him as only meanspirited. I think his use and abuse of power were worse than that.
Ann Coulter is meanspirited. But she has little power. She can rouse only little rabble. Her meanspirit is so transparent it may have a postive effect by the revealing the insanity she embodies.
A decending list ( a work in progress)
Evil
Hater
mean of spirit
Antagonist
Contrarian
Shallow simpleton

for examples of Antagonist on down please consult a few recent posts....on any forum
Old 05-16-2007, 06:05 PM

ok, I remember now. The one who preached against abortion. The bigot and hater. I never paid him much attention. He wasn't the televangelist who visited the prostitute, was he?

It surprises me that he and I shared the same religion. Vastly different interpretations.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check out the big thread in OOT about it, Katie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that thread after this. I searched 'falwell' not 'fallwell'.

Sorry 'bout that. Maybe link to that thread or just lock this one?

b
Old 05-16-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, I remember now. The one who preached against abortion. The bigot and hater. I never paid him much attention. He wasn't the televangelist who visited the prostitute, was he?

It surprises me that he and I shared the same religion. Vastly different interpretations.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was Jimmy Swaggart.

These guys are all a comely crop.