Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Skydiving Trip Report

Skydivers,

Class A license - How long does it take to get? How much does it cost?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:43 PM

Falcon,

You need a minimum of 25 jumps for an A license. There is a checklist of skills and knowledge you must demonstrate:

http://www.uspa.org/publications/for...Card_09-06.pdf

Depending on how often you can jump, it will probably take something on the order of a couple of months of weekends, and cost around $2000. This is not including the gear you will undoubtedly be buying.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went skydiving on Long Island in September. It was probably like 60 degrees out. I wore shorts and a t shirt and I don't remember being particularly cold at any point.

I had a ton of fun and I'd recommend it to anyone hat is thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live about 5 minutes from the place in Calverton at the old Grumman facility. Everyday in the summer you see people doing jumps, its pretty cool. I actually went to Skydive Long Island last summer as well and it was a great experience. I remember it being a little cold during the fall but nothing uncomfortable. I was wearing a t shirt and jeans.

IMO the best part of the jump was the initial fall from the plane. It is such a different feeling to anything I had previously experienced. Pretty cool thing to do but I don't think I would ever do it again. Don't see the point in pressing my luck.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:23 PM

I did a tandem jump once about 2 and a half years ago and the instructor guy wanted us to slide into the landing on our butts. I ended up with a broken tailbone.

One thing you didn't menitoin was the view, which was the best part IMO. Also you were right about the loosening of the straps being scarier than jumping out of the plane.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:17 AM

I went 3 years ago in Hawaii for spring break. I had an awesome time and would recommend that everybody do this once. Two downsides: Signing away my life in a 20+ page waiver and flying up in an old, rickety, shaking plane were both terrifying. The actual drop was amazing though.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:18 AM

I thought the scariest part was when I had to exit the plane and the wind was so fierce and then the flip out of it. Intense.

But hella fun, and pretty awesome view.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I went 3 years ago in Hawaii for spring break. I had an awesome time and would recommend that everybody do this once. Two downsides: Signing away my life in a 20+ page waiver and flying up in an old, rickety, shaking plane were both terrifying. The actual drop was amazing though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't even imagine how cool it would be to skydive in Hawaii.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:17 AM

My brother is trying to talk me into doing this when we go to switzerland/sweden next year. They take you up around the snow covered mountains I guess and you jump/step off of a helicopter instead of out of airplane...to be honest I'd much prefer doing it solo rather than being strapped to some rnaodm person.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Skydiving is HOT ."

After I went skydiving, this was pretty much my only thought on the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

i went in vegas, and damn was it hot outside. i was sweating like crazy being in the crappy lil tin bucket airplane on the way up. jumping out was the biggest releif i could have experienced. but yea, skydiving was pretty fun, but not enough reward during the 'diving' part with all the driving, prep, etc to make me do it more than once unless im extremely bored or find a girl that wants to sex me in the chute so i can win prop bets
Old 04-10-2007, 09:34 AM

ElD: Not sure. It's expensive and tandem would get old quick. but I can see loving solo jumps.

quids: No clue if it's common. My eardums are pretty much scar. I blow the right one every 10 years. Last time was rounding the 6-buoy waterskiing on the last run of the day.

After thinking about it, I'm more concerned about retinal detachment.

potato: Well at least that's safer than going to a bar with Boris. That picture is excellent. I'd skydive again for that.

AZK: Yes I knew right away. But it barely hurt and hasn't since.

BadBoyBenny: I suspect there are a lot of minor injuries that go unreported. Busting your tailbone can really hurt. Hope yours has healed with plenty of love and affection from various supermodels.