Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 04:15 AM

Default Nancy Pelosi Going to Syria

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...1&catnum=0
I think is incredibly stupid, arrogant, and disrespectful of Nancy Pelosi to visit with Syria to "discuss a wide range of security issues affecting the United States". The power to conduct and negotiate foreign policy lies with the executive branch and the executive branch only....

First, Nancy Pelosi has ZERO authority to conduct any type of negotiation for the US govt. Anything she says will carry no weight. She is giving Syria a politcal propaganda coup.
Second, Syria is on the State Dept list of nations that sponsor terrorism and she was ask not to go. Besides assassinating Lebanese Christian leaders, Syria was been a passive supporter of the Sunni insurgency in Iraq.
Third, she is establishing a harmful precedent. Elections have meaning. Bush was elected to serve for 8 years and the people of the USA chose HIM the power to conduct foreign policy....we did NOT choose Nancy Pelosi. Since when do the people of San Francisco, get to dictate foreign policy for a country of 300 million people? I did not get a chance to vote for her to conduct foreign policy on my behalf.

She is making a blatant power play to go around the executive branch. Her VISAs should have been denied.... But Bush43 is a political moron.....and I can't wait till his term is over. If Nancy Pelosi wants to talk with terror states then do so when:
1. A Dem is elected president.
2. The Dem president asks her to go to these terrorist states. (but why have a Secretary of State when you can just send Nancy Pelosi?). We could save about $100K a year in salary by combining the Speaker-of-the-House post with the duites of the Secretary of State.

I think Nancy Pelosi is letting the power go to her head... In a way I'm glad Pelosi is being a moron. She is overplaying her hand and it improves the opportunity to vote these nitwit cut-and-run Democrats out-of-office....
Old 04-01-2007, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Nancy Pelosi Going to Syria

Yeah, dialogue with our "enemies" is horrible. Bomb the hell out of 'em.

Who said anything about her creating foreign policy? She won't be of course, because we all know how the US gov't works. But are you against her gathering information first hand about different situations? Yeah, we should all just hang around and wait for information to be spoon-fed to us, because we don't personally create policy.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:41 AM

Seriously, this is the dumbest post ever. I'm not even going to bother to explain why since it's so painfully obvious.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:16 PM

Do you have similar objections to the recent trip to Syria and meeting with Syrian President Assad by Republican members of the House?

Don't worry too hard about the seeming hypocrisy of criticizing Pelosi and not Republican members of the House. You're in good company! Your outrage just so happens to mirror recent White House rhetoric, and it's also shared by William Kristol. On today's "Fox News Sunday," he stated:

[ QUOTE ]
Nancy Pelosi, having undercut our troops in the field, is now going off to see -- to Syria to pay her respects to Bashar Assad, who's allowing terrorists to come across the [Iraqi] border to kill American troops.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't it weird how you guys reach the same conclusions, despite the evidence, and make the same points over and over? It's almost as if there's some set of Republican "talking points" that get disseminated and repeated over and over.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have similar objections to the recent trip to Syria and meeting with Syrian President Assad by Republican members of the House?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I do UNLESS they ask permission from the President.
The article does not mention whether the president gave them permission or not.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry too hard about the seeming hypocrisy of criticizing Pelosi and not Republican members of the House. You're in good company! Your outrage just so happens to mirror recent White House rhetoric, and it's also shared by William Kristol.

[/ QUOTE ]
To prove hypocricy you need to cite two events.
You cited Bill Crystal opposition to Nancy Pelosi going to Syria so where has Crystal supported UNSANCTIONED visits to Syria or any other country?

My instincts tell me you have no such example and are just throwing out the "hypocrisy" word because you think it sounds cool to throw that word around.... And based on your total avoidence of my post, I assume you agree it is bad form for Pelosi to go to Syria over the President's and the State Department's objections...
Old 04-01-2007, 07:24 PM

Why would we care what Billy Crystal thinks about anything anyway? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2007, 08:35 PM

Felix frequents the same talking points spots as BGC i guess?

Is it really neccessary to call Democrats nit wit cut and runners? If you are just going to troll like that, why even bother posting at a site like this? Just go to FreeRepublic.

But Anyways...I dont recall the Speaker ever having to ask the President to make visits to other countries. Its not like she is negotiating something behind Bushs back. Talking is never a bad thing, im glad she realizes that.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Felix frequents the same talking points spots as BGC i guess?

Is it really neccessary to call Democrats nit wit cut and runners? If you are just going to troll like that, why even bother posting at a site like this? Just go to FreeRepublic.

But Anyways...I dont recall the Speaker ever having to ask the President to make visits to other countries. Its not like she is negotiating something behind Bushs back. Talking is never a bad thing, im glad she realizes that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You state that 'talking is never a bad thing' and that Nancy is only acting on her realization of that profundity. Why has the U.S. government shunned the Syrians at high levels until very recently? Why was she asked not to go? Undoubtedly this administration has specific foreign policy goals that they feel will be undermined by Ms. Pelosi's trip. Since the executive was elected, in part, to conduct the foreign policy of the U.S., seems rather presumptuos of Ms. Pelosi that she chooses to ignore the executive and in so doing undermines them by potentially showing a divided front. Her appearance with Assad will only succeed in legitimizing him and his actions in the eyes of many foreign observers, and embolden those who would seek to undermine the goals of the U.S., as her appearance there will give the impression of a divided U.S. in terms of its Syrian policy, and as such will decrease any incentive Assad may have had to more closely adhere to the wishes of the Bush administration.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:31 PM

Default Nancy Pelosi the Car Negotiator

Nancy Pelosi Walks Into a Car Dealership

Salesman: Hello can I help you?
Nancy: Yes, I want to negotiate a price for a car for this guy named George.
Salesman: Oh? He has designated you as his negotiator?
Nancy: No, but it never hurts to talk does it?

Salesman: Well....I guess not. What type of car does George want?
Nancy: Well he wants a Honda but I think he needs a Kia and that is why I'm here.
Salesman: You mean he does not want a Kia?
Nancy: He hates Kias but for his own good I want him to buy a Kia.

Salesman: Let me get this straight. You want to negotiate a price for a car that he does not want and to top it all off you have no authority to negotiate on his behalf?
Nancy: That is correct but it never hurts to talk does it?
Salesman: Is George a good friend of yours?
Nancy: Oh no. I don't even like him and I think he does not like me either.

Salesman: Huh....and yet you are trying to negotiate a price for a car he does not want.
Nancy: True but it nevers hurts to talk does it?
Salesman: Lady would you like to buy a car for yourself.
Nancy: Oh no! But in 2009 I think a friend named Hillary might want to buy a Kia so if George doesn't buy then I'm sure my friend Hillary will.

Salesman: Lady, why don't you come back in 2009 when your friend Hillary is ready to negotiate.
Nancy: But lets talk now. It never hurts to talk does it?
Salesman: Lady, please leave. This is a business and we don't have time for this...
Old 04-01-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Nancy Pelosi the Car Negotiator

Well that makes no sense.
Here is a better example:

George: Nancy, I would like for you to vote on some measures that my friends will introduce about how to deal with this car dealer.
Nancy: Well, I think I will go talk to this car dealer to gather information so I have some idea of how to vote on those proposals.
George: NOoooooooooooooo!!!!!
Closed Thread