Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 03-08-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Live 6/12 flopped set turn play/general line check question

This is my second orbit at the table, villain (small blind) is a standard 55-60 year old guy, no reads yet except he hasn't raised yet. Table seems to be playing like a standard 6/12 Canterbury table (for anyone that's played there), meaning loose-passive. Usually 5 or so to the flop, often at least 3 to the river, but again, I just sat down.

I'm in MP (UTG+3) with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Preflop:
UTG folds, UTG+1 limps, one fold, I limp, hijack folds, cutoff folds, button goes all in for 10, villain raises to 16, big blind folds, UTG+1 folds, hero calls.

At this point I'm getting 4.4:1 on my call, and I figured I'd make at least 3.5 big bets (and maybe more) with a flopped set and called. He seemed like the type that would only raise very strong hands here (JJ+/AK). This might have been a bad call, I know its prpobably close. Thoughts on preflop play are definitely welcome.

Flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain leads out, hero calls.

My thoughts were that he likely had a big pair (body language, general experience at these stakes/games), or at the very least a hand he deemed very strong like A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] . I figured he's definitely firing the turn and I might as well wait until the bet doubles to demonstrate the strength of my hand.

Turn is the K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Now there's a three flush, but it doesn't particularly worry me. There's really only one hand I can see him having here that made the flush (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ) but that seems extremely unlikely to me. I don't like that a big card hit since I put him on a big pair, but I'm still pretty confident.

Villain checks (very weird), hero bets, villain raises, hero ??
Old 03-08-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Live 6/12 flopped set turn play/general line check question

I don't like the way you played on the flop.

I go ahead and raise right there.

Not calling either time its to you would be criminal IMO. Never fold to one bet after you have voluntarily put in one yourself.

I raise the turn and call a 3.

If he's super passive, you could fold the river UI, but I call down as he could have AK with the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or AA with [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]s as well.

I think folding without a super solid read in this large pot would be a disaster.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:54 PM

I'd fold when it's 10 back to me preflop; you don't have implied odds from the all-in player, and the 3.5 big bets you need to collect to make this a break-even call is a best-case scenario in this HU pot.

I'd raise the flop; if villain does in fact have a big pair he'll probably 3-bet and you can cap.

As played, I'm 3-betting the turn. You've underrepresented your hand thus far and SB can have AA or AK with the Ad.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:14 PM

Oh, I thought this was 8/16. Oops.

I might call since there's a ton of dead money in the pot and our hand is easy to get away from if we miss, and I might fold if the 3-bettor is super-tight.

I'd probably still call.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:43 PM

I'm never folding here to the check/raise ever. The play at 6/12 here is so terrible that its going to take very unique situations to fold a set, and those situations pretty much can never come up on my second orbit at the table.

FWIW the cap is 5 bets at Canterbury, no cap HU on the river.

Any other thoughts?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:02 PM

pf is fine.

raise the flop. it gives you more options to solicit maximium action throughout the hand. if he 3bets you can cap or call and raise the turn. if he calls, it's often so he can c/r you on the turn if he has an overpair. if he has AK, well you weren't getting much more anyway.

as played i'm 3betting the turn and calling down if he 4bets.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:26 PM

raise flop and cap it if 3 bet...that simple, really
Old 03-09-2007, 05:40 PM

Hey Minnesota Sam I play in the 6/12 at C-Bury regularly as well so I know all about the play in that game.

Pre-flop it's kind of a loose call but I would make it sometimes just for set value.

I would raise on the flop. You may think the SB has a big pair but In these loose games you never know why give him a cheap look at the turn. You have the best hand bet it.

I would definitely 3 bet the turn. The only realistic hands that hurt you are KK, 99 and AQ or AJd. If he goes four bets I would just call down. If he just calls the 3 bet and brick on riv I definitely bet again.