Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 03:52 AM

Default $1-2 hand from Vegas

This game was probably the toughest game I played while in Vegas. Sunday night at Harrahs and most of the players seem competent. Effective stacks are about $250.

So I raise $11 in LP with 55 and get called by the button and BB. Flop($33)- A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I fire $20 and get called by the button. Turn($73)- J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], this is where the hand gets difficult. How do you guys handle these situations? It might be best to lead but what happens when he pushes? He plays aggressive and could hold almost anything here.I feel that I butchered the hand so I'd like to see what you guys think.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: $1-2 hand from Vegas

I wish someone would respond to this. I'm not good enough. I'd either bet about $50 on the turn and fold to a re-raise or check and hope he checks behind. If I bet and he calls, I'd really have to re-evaluate river. If I check, I might call a resonable bet and hope for a great card on the river. Very tough spot. It will be interesting to see what the better players would do.

OK, honestly, I'm weak and I'd probably check then re-evaluate depeding on villain's action.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:03 PM

tough spot, look him in the eye, determine if he made a flush, and play accordingly
Old 03-07-2007, 12:14 PM

History is important.

Does he float a lot?
How has he responded to this situation in the past?
How does he view you and your cbets?

Answering these questions and you'll have a better sense. That being said this is a tough spot but even if he has a flush you have outs.

I'd probably check turn and lead river 1/2 pot.

I'd call a moderate bet on turn, if I felt it were weak I'd raise the bet but that it is villain dependent.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:34 PM

I'd bet $50. The problem is river if called.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:28 PM

Gut-feel answer: I check-call a reasonable bet on this flop, hoping to fill up on the river.

Some mathiness: Say he bets $60 on the turn. You're calling $60 with $133 in the pot. You improve 10/46 or 21.7% or 3.6:1, so you would need to get $83 in on the river when you hit to make this +EV. Add in the times he was taking a stab at the pot with Ax and river is checked thru, and I think this is OK.

Read dependent, of course. $0.02

Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM

If you bet and get raised allin, are you going to call in hopes of hitting your boat? If so, i'd bet then. If not, I'd play it safe and check turn and call river. You might induce a river bluff...

Of course, it depends on what type of player villain is.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:38 PM

IMO he's betting (or calling) with a weak A/ flush draw to the A. I would bet the turn (maybe 70%-100% of the pot). If he only calls you might still be ahead. If he pushes I'll re-evaluate my position based on my read on him.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:59 PM

Absence of reads. I think you have to bet the turn and call a push.
you raised from the CO and he flat called. Then you fired a standard CB. He could have called that bet with AQ AJ floated behind with 99 88 77 maybe others.
You are obviously behind suited club connectors and TT. I think TT has to raise the flop with the drawy board.
Dont have Poker stove avaible to me now but our pot equity has to look pretty good.
I think it is disatraous to give a free ride to top pair and a flush redraw, even the pairs that might float have a free draw at a club. Even if he has the flush you have a redraw
Old 03-08-2007, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the opinions guys, it seems like we are torn on how to play this turn though.

onoble-I wasn't at the table for long enough to get a good feel on him but he seemed to be in line for the most part. He was very aggressive when he was involved in pots which put me in a difficult position here b/c I knew it could get expensive fast.

I like your advice slowjoe. This sounds like a decent strategy against a relatively unknown player.

Anyway,I decided to check/call his $50 bet(not sure of my reasoning at the time or why it's better to check call then to bet out) . River ($173)- J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], this is where I screwed up the hand and checked to him hoping to CRAI but unfortunately he checked behind. I'm sure he had something weakish or maybe even air b/c he checked without much thought so he may have not even called my river bet.

This hand illustrates an important concept of poker imo and I'm still open to suggestions if anyone else wants to chime in.