Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Lee Jones Winning Low Limit Hold\'em

has anyone else read the latest edition of the Lee Jones "winning low limit hold'em" book (3rd ed) and what did you think of it in terms of content and also perhaps improvements over previous editions? Also, to what limit level could the book be used as a general strategy guide?

I've read the book and have applied it very successfully to the micro limits, i've found that sometimes when i stray from some of the fairly conservative advice i actually leak a lot of chips, but there are also occassions, such as betting mid-pair against one or two relatively weak opponents that i've actually won a few extra bets as well.

Furthermore, i haven't really specifically delved into the SitnGo section of the book as i feel it was more of a space filler then a good SitnGo introductory strategy section.

There were a few other sections that i don't exactly follow either such as the raising for value on a flush draw plus i feel there's not enuf material on playing from the blinds... However, i do believe the starting hand chart is really good and the general postflop advice is very good starting point and for me has been really good for the micro limits- what are some other views on this book?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Lee Jones Winning Low Limit Hold\'em

This is a decent beginners book, but if you want to progress any higher than 3/6 online i think you need to study more advanced texts. The 3rd edition is vastly superior to the 1st and 2nd edition (the 1st edition contains some real ugly advice)
Old 03-06-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 3rd edition is vastly superior to the 1st and 2nd edition

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 AM

okay cool, the reason i specified third edition was because i noticed the earlier editions drew quite a bit of criticism from malmuth in his book reviews and there has been debate regarding the softness of games going down in the last year or so, which is why i wanted some opinions on the strength of this book and how good the strategy holds up
Old 03-07-2007, 09:37 AM

this book has a soft spot in my heart because it's the first poker book i read [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Decent begginer book and a good start for anyone.

But a major problem with this (and SSH) is that they are mostly geared towards very loose, 9/10-handed games. Such games don't exist on the internet anymore, alas. This doesnt stop them being great books, but just be aware!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 PM

This is still a valid book for live LLHE play and the tight starting hand requirements are good as well for starter outers.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:52 AM

is there then perhaps a good book that extends the stuff in Lee Jone's books, especially towards short handed games? Is Ed Miller's "winning big with expert play" a good add on?
Old 03-08-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is there then perhaps a good book that extends the stuff in Lee Jone's books, especially towards short handed games? Is Ed Miller's "winning big with expert play" a good add on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Millers book is far better, and the way to go after Lee's book, but it doesn't cover short handed play.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:08 AM

Winning Low limit hold 'em 3rd edition is an excellent book. To correct some of the mistakes from the 1st and 2nd editions Lee Jones did a lot of consulting with Barry Tanenbaum who reviewed and commented on the final manuscript before publication. It really is a very good book and I recommend it without reservation.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 PM

i have been playing low limit ring games following the advice from this book and so far so good!
the starting requirments is essential for solid limit play.