Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-10-2006, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Possibly moving to NYC -- Advice?

Ive lived in manhattan last 22 years. You definitely do not need a car that is for sure. Rent is pretty steep, you probably won't find anything decent for under 2500 a month.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
takes 15 min to get to downtown manhattan on the subway

[/ QUOTE ]
...on weekdays during commuting hours. Weekends after midnight that number will double, triple, or much worse, depending on where exactly you live.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:52 AM

brooklyn is cheaper and I personally like it, but having a car in bklyn is pretty neighborhood dependent. in my neighborhood having a car sucks, I tried it and it's no fun at all. OP should def sell the car and then just get another if it's deemed necessary.

edit: this is assuming you're not planning on paying for a garage, which near me is ~300/month.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:55 AM

if this guy is working downtown isn't Hoboken a good 'cheaper' choice as well?

just want to add that I'm heading down to NYC this weekend and will probably have all my meals at Katzs. mmmmmm.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Car - live in Manhattan, sell (will cost at least $250/mo to park); live in Brooklyn or Jersey - keep.

[/ QUOTE ]

in 1982 perhaps. Good luck finding a parking lot for that cheep, average on the low end is $400, as high as $700 in most areas that people want to live in.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
brooklyn is sweeeet. i live here and it's awesome. takes 15 min to get to downtown manhattan on the subway but i spend a ton of my weekend time in brooklyn anyways. and i got 1400 sq feet, btches

[/ QUOTE ]

OP - If you're not making a decent amount of money follow this advice (or go to Williamsburg or Hoboken) as it's a lot cheaper - rental market in NYC is insane now and very expensive - for a studio in decent area/building it's like $2000+ at least I think.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:10 PM

You should specify whether you are working downtown or midtown. And you should also mention things you like to do not work related.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:13 PM

I'd suggest you find a place to sublet (for 1-3 months, probably a room in someone's apartment) when you first get here. This should be a pretty easy to find in the craigslist sublet section. This lets you get a much more accurate feel for scoping out different neighborhoods you might want to live in, as well as how much you'd like to pay in rent and what kind of living situation you'll feel most comfortable in (alone/roommates, studio/one-bedroom, walk-up/doorman building, etc.)

You'll definitely get a lot of advice and opinions that may seem overwhelming because there are just so many options. When I first moved to New York I lived in a sublet for a few months on the Upper East Side and it really helped me figure out where I wanted to live (mainly, not on the Upper East Side.)

If it matters, here are the places I've lived in NYC

-1 bedroom in a large 3-bedroom in a doorman building, West Village/Meatpacking district, $1300/month
-1 bedroom in a small converted 2-bedroom in a doorman building, East Village, $1075/month
-crappy 4th floor walkup studio in a crappy building in a crappy part of Williamsburg, near slum-like conditions but suitable for me at the time, $875/month (!)
-(present) decent-sized prewar (but nicely renovated) studio in the East Village, 3rd floor walkup, $1495/month
Old 11-10-2006, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Neighborhoods - if you are working in the financial district, the upper east side (low 60s through high 80s) is nice and will get you to work in about 15 mins.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me more than 15 minutes to get from E 86th, one block from the express stop, to across the street from Grand Central. If you think a standard UES finance commute is 15 minutes you must own a flying carpet.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:19 PM

I really don't want to sound like your typical nyer here but williamsburg and hoboken are basically like two different countries. they are not in any way interchangable.