Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 05:25 AM

Default A2344 on 5th street 8ob

I'm relatively new at Stud8, I've played it a few times before, but certainly can't call myself good.

10/20 stud8 on party. I'm dealt 234 rainbow, and 4 of us put in $20 on 3rd street.

On 4th street, I get an A and we all put in 1 bet on 4th street. (We may have gone 2 bets, does this change the equation drastically on 5th?)

On 5th street.... the boards read as follows. No real obvious flushes out there.

A99

On 5th, the A99 leads out, 554 calls, and the 456 raises.

I'm new enough to stud that I don't know if folding my A2344 is a cardinal sin, an easy laydown, or a marginal situation. I believe the guy with the 456 caught the 6 on 5th street, and he showed aggression on 4th street. I felt 23 as his hidden cards were a real possibility, and with 3 of my wheel cards gone, and a 6 gone for presumably the best low anyone is gona make, and a wheel likely not even giving me a shot at the high, I folded. If the A99 has trips, it can get real expensive on 6th if he boats up and I don't hit one of my 4 outs. Thoughts? I apologize in advance if this is a simple question. I just thought there might be some kinda cardinal rule like "don't fold a234 on 5th in a big pot" or something to that effect.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:23 PM

Default Re: A2344 on 5th street 8ob

i think this anything but a simple question! if the five and sixes were live then it would be criminal to fold here, as a234 is the kind of draw you're starving for in multiway action.

however, here i think instead of having a wheel draw you actually have a one way hand - a hand that will only win the low. So you have to decide whether a 7432A will be good if you make it, since that will give you 8 cards including the case 5 and three sixes. Since you have 23 in the hole it's less likely that he has made a 6 high str8, and 2 of the ace are gone, so it's possible he may not have the 6 low but have a 76 low, or even may be still drawing.

I think the question boils down to how much you think this hand will cost you to draw to a 7 low or better. If you think it's only going to cost you these two bets and another bet on 6th st., then you can call. If these are very aggressive players who are likely to jam you, then save those two bets and wait for a better spot.

With a one way hand that is kind of dead, I fold here. But it's a tough laydown and anything but obvious - a234 looks so deceptively good, but is relatively weak here.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:03 PM

The 456 had the 8 high straight and scooped, and I don't think I saw the A99's hand. I'm new enough to stud that I don't have any hand converter, etc. so I apologize for the lack of true information. 4th street action may have gone 45 leading out and me raising on 4th with A234, and both others calling. The only thing that makes sense for the A99 player is aces on 3rd, or him being a donk.

I think its relatively safe to say that if laying it down is a mistake, it's not a great one.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:30 PM

Easy fold,
The card you really need is dead. Another card that would most likely get you half is deadish. And you might get jammed for a cap here.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:24 PM

yeah, I mean many play will call here with any low draw at all, such as 8732k offsuit -duh! you have the four lowest cards in the deck, but the dead cards, the boards, and the action suggests you can lay it down - try not to draw for 1/2 the pot if it costs you more than one bet on 5th st.(unless it was jammed on 3rd & 4th) - this includes big flush draws when a low seems obvious. btw, download the hand converter at http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.htm