Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Do you think dogs get lonely?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a Boston Terrier that turns 7 tomorrow. I was never big on the crating while Im gone thing. Im trying to remember how it all started though as I didnt leave him with free reign right away.

I think it started with the crate, then I just kept him in the bathroom, then alone in the house if I was going to be gone a short period of time and gradually increasing his responsibility until he had no restrictions

im pretty sure he just sleeps on the couch all day, but at least he has the option to move to a cool spot

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is sort of what I'm thinking too cpitt. I'm thinking I would start the dog in a crate but gradually get to where I allow him to roam about. Once when I was watching my boyfriend's dog I left for work. I came back a few minutes later because I forgot something and I found the big guy laying on his back on my couch with his feet in the air! I was like "You have got some nerve mister!". He knows he's not allowed on my couch because he doesn't have a pleasant odor. He sort of slunk off and went and laid down on the carpet giving me those guilty dog eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your story is a great lead in to something I wanted to get across in my reasoning for not crating him/her.

I remember when I first went to college and all the freshman kids were going nuts partying. Now there were two kinds of people, the ones that could handle it and the ones that couldnt. The ones that couldnt always seemed to be the ones that had strict parents in high school.

I tried to take the same approach when I got my dog. I had no previous experience with dogs, but I wanted to give him responsibility so he wouldn't act a fool in situations where I couldn't control him 24/7.

I would venture to guess that if your dog had no freedom when you are not around, it might be more willing to take off given the chance. Twice Ive had times where I didnt see my dog for a bit and went downstairs to check for him and noticed the door was blown open by the wind. Both times he was within 25 feet of my front door and had probably had been outside for 15-30 minutes in a busy apartment complex setting.

Im not so sure if he were constantly caged it wuld have had teh same result
Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 AM

I don't think it was mentioned in this thread, but there are places all over the country which offer "doggie day care".

Doing this everyday is probably too expensive, but it's a nice change of pace for the dog who's left at home all day.

I got my dog from the pound and could not imagine a better dog, nor would i ever have the heart to acquire a pet any other way. The day i got my dog a little over a year ago still haunts me a little.

I remember the faces of so many sad and lonely? dogs from the shelter. It actually convinced me that no-kill shelters are cruel, but that's a different subject. Dogs are truly awesome creatures to have in your life.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know kitty cats get lonely. But if they get pet and fed till they purr, they are happy for up to a week.

Dogs either need attention at least every other day or a big field with other partners to play with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit for my dog photo
Old 10-31-2007, 04:44 PM

Here is Mat and our dog, Dhar

Old 10-31-2007, 06:05 PM

Oh sooo sweet! I can definitely see why you fell in love with that face.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:26 PM

All you dog owners are saints - too much work for me, what with the walks and the poo and the cleaning up of the poo and the occasional or regular bark-a-thon. I've never understood why people have to be "dog people" or "cat people". They're each awesome in their own way, but I will say the most awesome dogs are usually awesomer than the coolest cats because of all they can bring to the table.

Still, it's remarkable to me that cats are generally hard-wired to know to find and use litter. Dogs never figure this out and it takes children a few years to not crap themselves. It's also remarkable how quickly my cats figured out mirrors - it's like they weren't even phased and instantly recognized themselves. Huh.

If dogs do get lonely, now I feel extra badly about all the ones penned in at the pound. I never considered that a no-kill shelter had negative ramifications until this was mentioned.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:50 PM

Me neither except along the lines of maybe weirdos running one. There have been occasional news stories of people who were nuts keeping a filthy shelter though.