Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-26-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Moving a dog to a cold climate

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

if he poops in the house, rub his nose in it and boot his ass outside - eventually he'll get the hint - problem solved - they learn to avoid negative behavior fast. -

[/ QUOTE ]

Studies have shown that dogs don't associate the negative attention with the bad behavior unless you catch them in the act. So you have to get him while he's pooping or peeing otherwise he's just going to be confused as to why you're yelling at him.

[/ QUOTE ]

How come my dog runs out into the alley immediately when I open the door when she has either 1. gotten in the garbage, eaten food off the counter or 2. had diarrhea and went in the house? She only does this if she has done one of the two things stated above. Shenanigans I call.

Sounds like your dog just wants to crap on grass and the cold isn't the issue. My dog is kind of the same way. She will go on snow but in the summer if there's no grass around she won't. She won't go on gravel, etc. Not sure how to fix this.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, most dogs are a lot smarter than most people give them credit for. The fact that the dog is only pooping in the house when you're not watching indicates that she knows she's not supposed to do it. Making her stay outside until she poops is probably the best solution. When she does do it outside, praise her, give he a treat or whatever. She probably has the idea that she can only poop on grass, and the snow confuses her.

As for the negative side, I am not convinced that catching the dog in the act is necessary, especially if the dog already knows it's doing something wrong. I wouldn't get really abusive, but pointing out the "violation" and telling her "bad nog" or whatever you say to let her know she's in trouble will get the message across. Scooping up the poop and taking it and her outside may help get it across, too. Also, thorough cleanup, possibly using one of the enzyme products made for that purpose to get rid of the scent is important. Once the scent of poop/pee gets into an area, it's much harder to cure a dog (or cat) of using that area.