Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Negotiation 101 Mess Up - Possible To Fix?

[ QUOTE ]
What about asking for a Reloaction, Hiring or other Bonuses? Would that also be bad to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush league and looks bad even if they agree to it. You need to be prepped for that before you make an agreement. It's like getting hit with a ton of fees you hadn't heard about when you're ready to sign for a car.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea i guess i should just take it and move on, but im still angry at myself for not asking for more. I wonder how far they would have gone. I asked for $2,000/YR more and they went for it so quick, i think i might have been able to go to $5,000/YR or maybe even more. =/

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a tough question you'll never know if the company accepts whatever you asked for without hesitation. You could have been at the max. Or you could have left a ton of money on the table. I asked for $10K more than I wanted for this job and they gave it to me. I wonder how much I could have gotten out of them, but I'm still happy because this is $10K more than I wanted anyway. Plus, I might have been out of consideration if I asked for even more.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 PM

im in the process of gettin my first real job where i will have to negotiate. what are some tips anyone has for people in my position? any % of an increase you should ask for or anything like that?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:19 PM

you prob won't be able to get much more out of them and whatever you might be able to get is not worth starting the job as "that guy"

Did you already "take" the offer, or just settle on a salary?

Honestly your best bet here is probably to just negotiate for better benefits. The real trick to negotiating is to always have an alternative (google BATNA). In this case, you can say that another company offered you X salary and Y benefits.

It would be a little sketchy to go beyond the salary you originally settled for, but you can push for more vacation, stock options, or a bonus. Think of it this way - one week's extra vacation could easily be worth $1000 to you.

[ QUOTE ]
im in the process of gettin my first real job where i will have to negotiate. what are some tips anyone has for people in my position? any % of an increase you should ask for or anything like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

there's a pretty good thread in EDF
Old 09-26-2007, 08:21 PM

One thing I've always done is to ask the HR people the salary "ranges" for the position. I have a feeling this might be limiting if you're on the higher side of the range, but it can definitely help you out if you were otherwise going to lowball yourself.

For example, if they say their range is $80-$90k, you'll be really glad you didn't go in there asking for $70k.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:32 PM

You accepted the offer. Going back on it would not be good. Actually if I had made the offer and it was accepted and later the person wanted to renegotiate I would tell the person to move on.