Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Things I don\'t get #1

A typical example would be something like this:

A TAG players opens UTG, a bad player in the CO calls, and you 3bet on the button with Ac Ad. Everyone else folds, UTG and CO call. Flop comes Kh 5h 3h. It checks to you, you bet, UTG raises, CO cold calls.

You should flat call and plan to raise a non heart, non king turn.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:03 PM

Here's one where I'm not convinced it's right:

Villain is a 43/22 LAG.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls...
Old 09-06-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Villain is a 43/22 LAG.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls...

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think its right. I cap the flop.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Villain is a 43/22 LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 4-way, someone will have decent equity, and you want to make them pay. Besides, there's a good chance you'll get to re-raise BB on the turn despite capping the flop.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:30 PM

I like the way this is played. Since the pot is huge, it's very likely the two dolts caught in the middle will cold call if Hero caps, making it pratically impossible for him to protect his hand.

I'm willing to sacrifice 1.5 SB of value in order to use my relative position on the BB and pop the turn, forcing the other two to call 2 bets cold.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:11 AM

Poker is so much easier if you just fastplay everything decent.

I occasionally underplay (i mean call-down, not wait-til-the-turn to raise) some stuff to protect my really weak calldowns, but a lot of you don't have that problem anyhow [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2007, 03:05 AM

Sharpies hand and SweetJazz example are so different IMO.

Sharpie needs to cap the flop.

- Sharpies hand is 4-way. SJ's is 3-way

- In Sharpies hand no turn can change his optimal choice of action from fold to raise. In SJ's example it is possible that he has to let his hand go on heart turns or K's turns depending on the action.

Basically, in Sharpies hand there isnt any pivotal turns that really affect how he should play it. In SJ's hand there is a bunch of cards that will affect his equity massively and thus affect whether he should raise or possibly even fold the turn.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In SJ's hand there is a bunch of cards that will affect his equity massively and thus affect whether he should raise or possibly even fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the most important point to consider on this play. You only want to wait until the turn when

1) you can't protect your hand by raising the flop, but you could possibly protect it on the turn or at least charge the draws the maximum to see the river.
2) your equity may change drastically on the turn which will alter how you play the turn.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:37 AM

Obviously the reason I waited was to face the field with 2 cold. I think if I can guarantee BB will lead the turn then waiting is best? Still, there are too many cards that will cause even a LAG to freeze up, and if he happens to be pushing an OESD or something.