Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 05:33 PM

Default little uncomfortable with top 2 (NL25)

villain is 35/4/.65

Wasn't sure what to do on the turn...but once he lead out so small...then just called my raise, I was pretty confident I was ahead. I didn't re-raise too much because until he only called, I thought there was a good chance I was behind and wanted to limit my losses to a re-raise.

Did I get max value out of worse hands?
Did I give up too much to a better hand?
Help please.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 ($18.50)
Hero ($29.55)
Button ($46.15)
SB ($33.45)
BB ($11.40)
UTG ($24.85)
UTG+1 ($24.40)
MP1 ($42.75)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($2.35) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $3</font>, Hero calls $1.50.

Turn: ($8.35) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $1.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, Button calls $4.75.

River: ($20.35) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>
Old 08-19-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: little uncomfortable with top 2 (NL25)

You are raising from the CO so your rang should be pretty wide here. He might even reraise you with JJ here, so the only hands you really need to be afraid of on this flop are QT and a set of nines. I would lead out for a little more on this flop you have a good hand with the broad raising range you had; I think because you bet so little he thought you were weak, he could have the scare cards on hand but also a weak king, K9, J9, KQ, maybe going frisky with T8 to get a freecard on the turn. The call is good, another reraise will certain fold out hands you beat, check on the turn is also good lets see what he does. Then after he bets so small I like the raise but it should be bigger so that you can shove the river. I had to have an awesome read that villain bets his really good hands tricky to not assume that I am way ahead of him. With the line you took you have still 7 behind that is not good if you think your hand is best.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:11 PM

It's hard to extract OOP. I bet the *(@# out of this flop. Larude is totally right with everything he's saying, but if a Q or 10 comes out, you're gonna freeze up, and so will he. Get all your money in while you're still pretty sure you've got the best hand. Bet, 3-bet the flop, get as much money as you can in as soon as possible, imo. Most min-raises mean they're not folding anyway.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to extract OOP. I bet the *(@# out of this flop. Larude is totally right with everything he's saying, but if a Q or 10 comes out, you're gonna freeze up, and so will he. Get all your money in while you're still pretty sure you've got the best hand. Bet, 3-bet the flop, get as much money as you can in as soon as possible, imo. Most min-raises mean they're not folding anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree with you that getting the money in ASAP is the best way to go for it. That is why I would have bet more on the flop just as you advice is; if he threebets you then it will be more and maybe we can get in there on the turn. As played though with the minraise it might be just better to don't scare villain off to much yet, I think a threebet in this spot is a very strong move... if he has KQ he might back off. While you said all that makes me more unsure what the best line is... calling and checkraising the turn or threebetting...
Old 08-19-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree with you that getting the money in ASAP is the best way to go for it. That is why I would have bet more on the flop just as you advice is; if he threebets you then it will be more and maybe we can get in there on the turn. As played though with the minraise it might be just better to don't scare villain off to much yet, I think a threebet in this spot is a very strong move... if he has KQ he might back off. While you said all that makes me more unsure what the best line is... calling and checkraising the turn or threebetting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...so you guys take the min-raise to mean that he's not folding AND that I'm ahead? I usually become very passive in situations like this when they min-raise. I've just been shown so many monsters from that line I guess.

The min-raise really dictated my play. I was out of position, and the guy made a bet that he knew I couldn't fold to...which makes me think I should be scared. I honestly thought I was behind at this point.

The check on the turn was because I was a bit at a loss for where I stood. The small bet made me think either that he wants me to raise so he can come over the top...or that he has a weak hand. When he just calls my raise, that's the first point in the hand where I think I'm good.

Is all of this bad reasoning? Sounds like you guys are not concerned with the min-raise as being a serious threat...but my default to this play is to become worried.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:57 PM

I'd three bet this flop most of the time as there's a lot of cards on the turn that can either make his hand, or kill my action.