Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Car service follow up call turns into sales pitch - is this standard?

This morning, I drop my car off at the dealership near where I work for a routine oil change and tire rotation. It's a tad overpriced, but it's really convenient - they'll give you a ride to work and pick you up when the work is done. I've been there plenty of times before, no problems.

After lunch, I pick my car up, transaction done. They said they found a small coolant leak, but I told them to hold off because I thought the cost for them to root cause it was too much.

A few minutes ago I get the standard service follow up call. They generally annoy the hell out of me, but I understand the person on the other end is just following company policy and it's usually quick and painless, so I don't make a fuss. But this time, the guy was kinda slow. He's asking questions about the most routine service ever, stalling, repeating the "so you're fine with the service?" question. Then finally, he asks, "are you interested in trading in the vehicle for something new here?"

At this point I get kind of pissed. I told him, "listen, I don't mind a follow up call, but I don't appreciate being bothered at work for a sales pitch. When I want a new car, I'll shop for a new car." Then he got kinda pissy in that cheery voice sales rep style and we went our separate ways.

Is this a common occurrence? I've never had it happen before and found it pretty inappropriate. It was basically telemarketing disguised as a courtesy call.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Car service follow up call turns into sales pitch - is this standard?

It's not very surprising if not standard, and not worth getting worked up about.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Car service follow up call turns into sales pitch - is this standa

Car dealers are scum, move on.

Or torch the dealership.

Either way, not worth posting about.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Car service follow up call turns into sales pitch - is this standa

kidcolin,

Pretty standard upsell IMO. Not worth wigging out about. Save your rage for Clarkmeister.