Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do u like better?
Hendrix 187 83.48%
BB king 16 7.14%
Framton 4 1.79%
Carlos Santana 17 7.59%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Telling people to kill themselves

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was funny until I jokingly said it to the wrong person and they started crying. No more kill yourself jokes for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I felt about all my rape and pillage jokes after some friends of mine told me about their rapes. The jokes didn't come anywhere near the same time, or with the same people, but I used to say that all the time. After some crying confessions made to me, I didn't want to make those jokes anymore.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I understand why people who have, for example, lost someone close to them to suicide, or had suicidal thoughts themselves, might find it offensive, but I'm mainly talking about people who are offended by it just on principle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the people who are offended by it are not offended by it on principle. They're offended because they know things like killing yourself are pretty darn real and unfunny, either through not being out of touch or by having some encounter with people who committed or attempted suicide themselves.

This is one of those things where thinking it unwise and/or unkind to make that kind of joke is being more, not less, firmly in touch with reality and not spinning off into airy theory or some kind of bullsh*t. Sometimes people really reach for things to get snippy or offended about; when the subject is killing yourself or wishing that on someone else, it's not reaching at all.

I can see not wanting to see it that way, because mostly people who are easily offended or who get sanctimonious are off base. It's easy to feel that this situation shouldn't be an exception, or that maybe nothing could be.

For what it's worth, I've known a few women who have told me about being raped, and that's why I don't like rape jokes much at all. Not as a matter of some kind of super abstract principle I can use to get all high and mighty; it's just that people really do suffer some horrible things in life, and while I can't change the past for anyone, I hate the pain they've had to endure, don't like the idea of them having to relive it or have feelings about it follow them through their futures even a little, and think there are at least a few kinds of jokes the world is a lot better off without.

There are just more important things in the world than having to crack every last "joke" possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about racist jokes? (depending on type of joke, i find some of these hilarious, some are just repulsive) - weather hilarious or repulsive is not based on how funny i beleive the joke itself is.

what about dead baby jokes (i find these are ALL repulsive)

blond/lawyer jokes (these are just funny, some not so funny, but never repulsive)
Old 01-29-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My dad killed himself in October. Every time I hear someone kid about killing yourself, I start thinking about my dad and can't stop. I would never say anything or act emo about it outwardly, but it is upsetting. So there is a different perspective I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

[/ QUOTE ]

For this guy it would be appropriate to tell him to kill himself because it's not a joke, I really want him to die.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL. If you're such a Goddamn loser that you feel it necessary to tell an internet message board about your stupid father, you should die in a fire. Don't expect sympathy or empathy from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahaha holy [censored], it's so wrong but this guy just made me laugh my ass off
Old 01-29-2007, 01:16 AM

Seems like a standard troll to me. He seems to have avoided his celestial destiny so far, for some reason.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:25 AM

There are much more funny things to say if you're not an insensitive douchebag.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:37 AM

when I was in college I went away for a semester. my dog had been to the vet recently for bloody noses. they scoped his nose and didn't find anything. so I just get off the phone with my mom who says he had another episode and now they found a tumor and they need to put him down. get off the phone. my neighbor says

"Ben, you look your dog died."