Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 01-10-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Does evidence of Intelligent ET life disprove Christianity?

[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of Christians would be disturbed by it since historically the church's position was that all life was created by God with us as his favored creation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it miraculous that man is the chosen species? And those telling us this tale were chosen by God to spread His word.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am a christian, and after reading about the Chicago UFO story

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing in the Bible either way concerning ET. If they do exist humans will obviously have a change in thought about many things but it wouldn't contradict anything in Scripture.

C.S. Lewis wrote a science fiction trilogy which he says was the first to consider that ETs might not be the bug-eyed, blood thirsty monsters that were common until then. You might enjoy reading it. It begins with Out of the Silent Planent, then Perelandra and finally That Hideous Strength. The first is about a trip to Mars, the second Venus, and the third is located here. Keep in mind that Lewis wasn't a scientist and his obvious lack of knowledge about some scientific details could be distracting. He explained that his concern in writing the series was entertainment with Christian content and viewpoint and he didn't spend much time researching the science.

An interesting sidebar is that according to him almost no critic spotted the first novel as having any Christian references and this was in the 1930's. I was a Christian when I first read it and it was obvious.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:46 AM

Considering the contradictions existing in Christianity already and the fact that similar things have been worked around in the past, I don't see how it would make a difference.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:35 AM

As a christian I would really want to lean towards the evidence would disprove, I can't say for a 100% because theoretically if a god did exist, he could make other species, but it would not fit with how I have perceived the bible.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a christian I would really want to lean towards the evidence would disprove, I can't say for a 100% because theoretically if a god did exist, he could make other species, but it would not fit with how I have perceived the bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This brings up a good point. Is the question asking what would ChristianS do, or what would ChristianITY do? I wonder what effect Galileo had on ChristianS. We know he had little effect on ChristianITY, they simply adjusted their interpretation (eventually) and moved on as if nothing had happened. But were lots of actual, living ChristianS quite stunned to find out that the version of the religion they had believed their whole lives was obviously wrong?

Probably during the time of Galileo it actually meant nothing to the vast majority of Christians since they didn't have internet or TV, but just pretend. Religions are FAR more adapatable than religious people, wouldn't you agree?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see nothing wrong with this, but that's partly because I think everyone should lean towards "false" in the beginning. After all, we've never confirmed aliens but there have been confirmed UFO sightings that turned out to be aircraft, hoaxes, etc.

Heh. Typing that just made me think of something. Despite being raised as a Southern Baptist in Oklahoma, I'm an atheist. I also used to read a lot of nonfiction for fun as a kid, and right around when I was maybe 10-12 I read a lot of books about UFOs, psychics, and magicians. It just occurred to me that the two might be related.