Old 11-22-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: ***Official ACC basketball thread***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in this case their depth is due to mediocre talent at the position

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL right. Duke's top 6 > UNC's top 6

[/ QUOTE ]

i really don't want to turn this into a duke is better, no unc is better thread, but what is the basis for your statement? i'm basing my claims on unc's play last year, as well as our roster having two potential all americans as well as a national poy candidate. if duke's top 6 > unc's top 6 then how do you account for the rankings? they are not the be all end all but we're talking first compared to tenth, not first compared to third or fourth. duke is "disciplined", but is undersized and unathletic. they are certainly a good team, but you are kidding yourself if you think they are as good as carolina on paper. even if your claim about the top six were true, it would mean that carolina had more depth b/c it is still considered to be the better team of the two.

you're being a fanboy, open your eyes.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:46 AM

I know it's hard, but try to read and keep up. We're talking about the guards and wings. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Btw, claims that Duke is undersized are one thing, but to say they're unathletic is pretty ridiculous.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's hard, but try to read and keep up. We're talking about the guards and wings. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Btw, claims that Duke is undersized are one thing, but to say they're unathletic is pretty ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

hah, what do you mean you know it's hard, you go to duke or something?

the portion of duke's lineup that sees the floor almost solely consists of guards and wings, so yes duke "has more depth" it's just not particularly talented depth. that's not what i'm really interested in talking about, this is:

[ QUOTE ]
LOL right. Duke's top 6 > UNC's top 6

[/ QUOTE ]

a statement like this makes it seem like you are incapable of unbiased evaluation. you are saying that duke, the #10 team in the country's six best players are better than the best six players from the top ranked team? really? if you were only talking about guards and wings when you said duke's 6 >unc's 6 then that is moot b/c we actually play some low post players. what is your basis for this statement other than go duke, unc sucks?

the athleticism comment was just talking about in comparison to carolina, but you'll see when we run you guys up and down the court
Old 11-22-2007, 01:15 AM

" if you were only talking about guards and wings when you said duke's 6 >unc's 6 then that is moot b/c we actually play some low post players."

That's what we were talking about. Obviously that's what I meant. And of course it matters. You can't play the same 3 guard/wings the whole game.

If you're criticizing Duke's speed and athleticism this year, then I'm guessing you haven't really watched them play.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:23 AM

this Kyle Singler kid is ice cold
Old 11-22-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
" if you were only talking about guards and wings when you said duke's 6 >unc's 6 then that is moot b/c we actually play some low post players."

That's what we were talking about. Obviously that's what I meant. And of course it matters. You can't play the same 3 guard/wings the whole game.

If you're criticizing Duke's speed and athleticism this year, then I'm guessing you haven't really watched them play.

[/ QUOTE ]

then that is a worthless claim; i claim that our towel boy is better than yours; too bad yours needs to play and ours doesn't b/c we have other good players. do you see where i'm going w/this? at any rate i still don't think your claim is true; you are confusing quality and quantity. just b/c duke plays 6 guard/wings does not necessarily make them better than unc's; duke is doing it for lack of a better option. your case for duke's stronger guard/wing play is not depth, it is kyle singler. singler is better than our best wing, but unc's remaining guards/wings > duke's.

i want to revisit this one:

[ QUOTE ]
"lawson, ellington, ginyard > paulus, henderson, nelson."

We'll have to agree to disagree. Besides, you're forgetting Scheyer (one of Duke's top scorers), Nolan Smith, and to some extent, Pocius (who is streaky as hell). Duke has a ton of depth at guard and wing.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is pretty lol and i'm not forgetting anyone. you can say ginyard is worse than nelson or henderson if you wish (they push imo), but lawson and ellington are better than paulus and nelson or henderson.

seriously, do you go to duke?

also, i saw them last night and tonight.