Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 12:50 PM

Default jury duty

I just got a summons for jury duty. I am concerned about a worst case scenario in which I will be selected and tied up with a trial for several weeks or longer, thereby losing a tremendous amount of income. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is this the kind of thing that I can tell the judge or jury commisioner that I am self-employed as a poker player and be able to get out of? If so, it is likely that the judge will grant me a hardship release? ... I really need to have a good idea as to the answers BEFORE I go in, because if there is a real possibility of me being tied up in jury duty for a while, I need to consider the alternative of skipping it and paying a $5000 fine.

I would appreciate any knowledgeable advice on the subject.

Thanks,
Samo
Old 08-27-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Re: jury duty

serve your jury duty. I'll enjoy the 10/20 party tables a little bit more while you are away.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:57 PM

how long does it take the average person? probably better to just pay fine.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 08-27-2006, 01:03 PM

Samo,

Some serious advice:

Depending on the reason for the trial, they will ask you questions to see if they want you as a juror. Whatever they ask, give controversial advice, so that either the prosecution or the defense woudln't want you on the jury. This should get you out of jury duty easily. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if its a drug case, say you used to sell drugs

[/ QUOTE ]
A better idea would be to say that you believe drug laws to be immoral, and that you would refuse to convict under any circumstances. Jury nullification, baby.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:07 PM

Right. There is a voir doir process in which they have all the potential jurors sit in the courtroom.

The attorneys from both parties ask questions to all the potential jurors to see if they want to dimiss them from the jury. Basically each attorney gets to choose to dismiss a few of the jurors because of their beliefs and prior experiences.

I was a paralegal for a summer and got to experience this in a courtroom. It is fairly obvious what the attornies do not want to hear when questioning potential jurors.

For example, when they are asking questions just say the most outrageous stuff and they will dismiss you. Say you are a racist, say you think you love lawsuits, say you previously sued someone for spilling coffee on you, etc.

Basically just tell the attornies what they don't want to hear. Extremely obvious for a semi intelligent person.

Should be really easy for someone with hand reading skills that allows them to play 26s on a paired board.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did win the PP million and made a couple of WPT final tables in 5K events, but that has amounted to less than 700K. The bulk of my 6 million has come from cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
grant me a hardship release?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not...

For jury duty in California, I had to call every day for a week to see if I had to come in. Luckily I didn't. Even if I were to come down, they would have to select you, and generally it doesn't take weeks like you fear. Usually it's for minor disputes that take up to a week, and again that's if they select you from a pool of candidates.

Everyone has to do jury duty, not just you. Civic duty. Just grin and bear it.

[ QUOTE ]
real possibility of me being tied up in jury duty for a while, I need to consider the alternative of skipping it and paying a $5000 fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

One week I forgot to call in the last day. I had to go back to rectify the problem (do call-in duty another week). I certainly don't want to pay a $5k fine, but I don't think that this penalty really gets enforced.

They will excuse you if you have a physical or mental deterrent, but it doesn't seem the case here. I think you should just do your duty as a US citizen and do double poker time when you come back.

Garland
Old 08-27-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Samo,

Some serious advice:

Depending on the reason for the trial, they will ask you questions to see if they want you as a juror. Whatever they ask, give controversial advice, so that either the prosecution or the defense woudln't want you on the jury. This should get you out of jury duty easily. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-27-2006, 01:09 PM

Or you could do your civic duty.