Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 09:49 AM

Default consistent preflop re-raises

What are your plays against someone who consistently re-raise your preflop raises ?

lets say 6 max you are in CO with KJs and open raise 4 times the BB. Only the BB is still in the hand and makes it 8 or 14 times the BB.

and you fold. After that fold he makes it everytime you open raise with a hand. What is your play during a session against him ?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Re: consistent preflop re-raises

Just to give you an idea , kjo is a 60% favorite against a random hand .

Against a maniacal lag player, it becomes a monster and should be treated that way . It is no different than re-
raising a solid player utg with pocket kings .

Your hand is the favorite and you should be willing to put in another raise at the very least. If you think he will call your shove with an inferior hand as a gamble , then shoving is the correct play .
Old 08-15-2007, 10:16 AM

Personally I'd narrow my raising range ( KJs would still get raised but some other stuff might not be ) then I'd get ready to reraise him next time he does it. If he does it everytime you will on average be well ahead afterall.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:41 AM

start raise 3 betting lighter? how good are you postflop? you really need to gamble more against these players or they will just control you if you become too predictable (ie nutpeddle)so if your not up for that style just dont play them
Old 08-15-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are your plays against someone who consistently re-raise your preflop raises ?

lets say 6 max you are in CO with KJs and open raise 4 times the BB. Only the BB is still in the hand and makes it 8 or 14 times the BB, and you fold. After that fold he makes it everytime you open raise with a hand. What is your play during a session against him ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not always clear on terminology, but I assume that open raise means raising to bb+1 sb from a non-blind seat.

Well, you should basically be willing to open raise almost any hand you limp in with anyway, since it doesn't really make sense to put money into the pot unless you're getting the best of it.

So, technically, if he raises every time that you open raise (assuming he's behind you), it should already be more profitable if you just open raise and then call. There is the drawback that this increases the pot size, could lead to a disproportionate increase in variance, but this shouldn't be a problem if you're properly bankrolled. If variance is an issue, restrict your open raise range slightly.

Another option is to use an open raise - jam tactic to exploit the behavior. Since you know that he's going to re-raise, you can restrict your open raise range, and then re-reraise hard or push when you're heads-up with a premium hand. Notably, game theory research indicates that pre-flop jam/fold play in NLHE can be very close to the game theoretical optimum anyway. Of course, this has the drawback of discouraging this exploitable behavior.

Basically, these dogmatic reraises are clearly exploitable, since you're getting the other player to voluntarily stick money in while you're getting the best of it. Thus, you want him to continue doing it, so, I'd say the best route is probably the following:
Restrict your opening range, with the intention to call the reraise.

If these reraises are causing you big problems, then there's probably something wrong with your game, or you're playing outside of your bankroll.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

lets say 6 max you are in CO with KJs and open raise 4 times the BB. Only the BB is still in the hand and makes it 8 or 14 times the BB.

and you fold. After that fold he makes it everytime you open raise with a hand. What is your play during a session against him ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first time you see a new player do this, I would call and see a flop. It should slow him down in future if he jumps to the conclusion that you defend your raises. (within reason; if he goes from 3.5 -> 14 then you can just muck.)
Old 08-15-2007, 10:39 PM

I play a lot of 6 max, and the better players 3 bet a lot. If he keeps picking on you, jam on him. He'll pick on someone else.

I won't restrict my raising range. I'll keep raising the same amount, and then just re-jam w/ my a10off or whatever when he does it for the third time in three rotations. I feel like if you want to restrict your range just move tables instead b/c he's owning you.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:34 PM

Ty

Your answeres helped me alot. I think I shouldnt act afraid any longer. I thought too to take a stand but feared agressive bettings on the Flop and Turn...

Next time I try to play my position more aggressive...