Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Does it make sense to continue playing?

[ QUOTE ]

If you are losing at micros then failing to lay down overpairs and TPTK is NOT your biggest problem. Looking at stats your WTSD is low and your W$SD is too HIGH, and WWSF is much too low. It's way more likely that you are folding too many hands, or missing value bets, or missing c-bets.

Remember, if your opponents are putting too much money in with weak hands then it's going to be much more important to win the most when you're ahead than to lose the least when you are behind. But you obviously look at poker as a game of not losing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have started calling more on the river lately. Of course you can't see that in my stats because I have been doing that only for the last couple of thousand hands.

How high should WTSD, W$SD and WWSF be?
Is W$SD > 50% good?

So if I call more on the river my WSD will in crease, my W$SD decrease. Is that better?

Also when I semibluff more my W$SF should increase. Is that the right direction?
Old 10-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Typically for a good player, wtsd is 22-28, w$sd is 48-53, w$wsf is 43-48.

[ QUOTE ]

So if I call more on the river my WSD will in crease, my W$SD decrease. Is that better?

Also when I semibluff more my W$SF should increase. Is that the right direction?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those may be right. Also value-betting hard will decrease your wtsd and w$sd.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Typically for a good player, wtsd is 22-28, w$sd is 48-53, w$wsf is 43-48.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those may be right. Also value-betting hard will decrease your wtsd and w$sd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you don't take this personal but your comments frustrated my yesterday. Here I was making no mistake postflop and winning much but still pissed because someone still critisises me. But after a while I realized you were right. For Example. I call pocketpairs on set value and if I don't hit my set I always fold ignoring the fact that villan just makes a contibet and I often times might have the best hand. I never contest Villan. I just play my hands. I just realized that this lets Villan(s) take away much pots uncontested allthough I might have the best hand. Also I shut down often after my own contibet.

You comment on not losing totally throw me of. I never thought about it until last night but you are right.

Thanks for the input! [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I will start small by trying to take away pots with pocketpairs. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Last question: Valuebets: I valuebet 80% of the pot (prima). I think that is allright!?
Old 10-07-2007, 06:32 AM

Whatever the site, start at the lowest stakes possible.

Prove to yourself that you can beat that level over at least 10000 hands.

Only then should you consider moving up.

Why would anyone try to beat $1/$2 before they feel confident they're beating $0.01/$0.02 ?

Good Luck.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:08 AM

From the comments you made in the video a couple days ago, it seemed that you were more than willing to lay down strong hands if a player showed strength after you showed weakness (if i recall correctly you held top two pair on the flop, bet and got called in 2 places, then on the turn the bottom card paired and you check/called and said that you would've check/folded the river to a strong bet).

I don't think that trying to bluff more with missed setdraws (low pocket pairs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] is the answer.
Micro-/Smallstakes can be beaten by playing tight ABC poker. That means sticking to getting value out of strong hands and playing mostly your own cards.

Once you get comfortable and begin to feel that you beat a limit, you can add more and more advanced plays to your game, i.e. increase your VPIP, play weaker holdings more aggressively, playing your opponent and start 2 and 3 barreling, ...

IMHO it's important to know that you can definitely beat a base limit before you start to add high variance plays. If those plays don't work out, you have a working game to return to and you can restart from there.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:14 PM

Are you multitabling? If so, try playing just one table. If you pay close attention to a single table you'll be able to get reads that will allow you succeed even if your technical game isn't so hot.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am playing for 13 months now. It's simple. I am highly intelligent but I can't ask myself what Villan could have.

Result:

I feel so stupid that I just can't even look how Villan played preflop. I am 4 tabling but feel that the people play very bad and that I should win... haha! I might think that.
Does it make sense to continue?

[/ QUOTE ]

youre playing weak tight abc poker and the people u playagaianst see this. They float u lots and take away pots with nothing when u check turn. They can easily get away when u keep betting since U MUST have a hand when u bet 2 streets. U dont open raise with good cards in LP(97 aceX etcetc) You play your CARD ONLY. You let good observing players outplay u.

Loosen up and double barrel much the floaters.
ALSO U DONT THREE BET MUCH.

Try PLAYING YOUR CO BUTTONS BLIND. It will help with your game. CBET MUCH AND ALSO IF THEY CALL FLOP DOESNT MEAN THEY HAVE [censored]. IF AN ACE OR A KING COMES OFF BET AGAIN. STOP PLAYING BASE ON YOU HOLDING.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:27 PM

also, poker is not about winning every pot u play. Its about winning and losing small pots to set up for the big pots.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
STOP PLAYING BASE ON YOU HOLDING.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did!

ok thanks guys. I have cut down tables to two, sometimes three and it is a hole new feeling. Now I see then they are weak and I am much more aggressive postflop when I think they have a hand that can't sustain continued pressure. I haven't looked at my stats because I want to play for table dynamics and I think this does work pretty well. Results are obv. varience.

My vpip / pfr have increased a lot and I take much more pots uncontestet now. Not that I intended that I just thought it was good at that specific tables to push them a little bit and test them. Not that I have found the holy grale but I am pretty optimistic that I can play poker that way.

My whole thiniking has changed. I don't know why but when I loose a pot i now laugh when I see how much more value they could have get.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:43 PM

Holy [censored] switch to 1 tabling for a long time