Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 11-27-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Caught in the middle.

20-40 live3 9 handed.

UTG+1: She is an elderly Asian lady. She tries to play well but makes far too many remedial mistakes. She cold calls raises too loosely with hands like any broadway, any pair, suited connectors(assuming not getting the odds to call) She fails to get in value bets because she is always afraid a better hand is out against her even when she has a monster. I don't believe I have ever seen her three bet preflop which means she could have a big pair after calling. Post flop she will usually just call down if she has a top pair type hand but will raise if she has two pair or better. If she raises the turn it will not necessarily be the nuts but close to it.

SB: He is a super lag and perhaps situational maniac. He plays about 80% of all hands. He raises with 30% of the hands he plays. He cold calls raises with a wide range of hands. He likes to check-raise his draws and bet out his good hands. He will slowplay his monsters. He will overplay his hands and make dumb donk bets into someone who clearly has him beat. He plays the flop very aggressively but will slow down on the turn and will only make it three bets if he has the nuts.

I raise UTG with AdKc, UTG+1 calls, SB calls, BB calls(she has enough money to go all in on the turn)

The flop: JsTd7h

Checked to me, I bet, UTG+1 raises, SB three bets, BB calls, I call, UTG+1 caps(She has a set), all call.

The turn: JsTd7h4c

SB bets(he has been killing me all night doing this costing me extra bets when I am drawing and it is clear the person behind me has a big hand). BB calls all in, and now it is up to me. Keep in mind that If I hit my straight I will have to bet the river since I can't depend on UTG+1 to bet for me. What do you do?

I am interested in what you think of my flop play as well.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Caught in the middle.

I think this is all in the math (which is close).
Let's assume that the Turn goes two bbs from BB and UTG+1 after she raises. BB called all in already. This puts the pot at 17 not including your 2 bbs on the turn. Also let's say you get only one more bet out it on river if you do hit it. 4 outs (all clean although SB or BB could easily have a queen to go with their straight draw). So 4 outs out of 46 (lets call it 44 cuz we know UTG+1 has a set) So your going to get paid 18-2 on 4/44 outs
I have it just under the correct odds especially given the blinds most likley have either a Q or possibly the same hand as you.
Final Answer: Fold
Old 11-27-2007, 02:10 PM

Fold to the 3-bet on the flop. Now you're priced in to call on the turn.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:12 PM

i fold when it's 2 more back on the flop. you're drawing to 4 outs almost always.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:20 PM

Fold the flop. Even if everything goes perfectly (everyone calls and no one caps), you are effectively getting 9:1 when you call the two back to you. Usually this would be enough to draw to your gutshot, but your implied odds are countered by the fact that UTG+1 will have redraws against you (she's got at least 2 pair, maybe a set), she won't give you very much action if you make your hand, and the flop will get capped a fair amount of the time.

The turn is closer because now the pot is huge. You are getting 12:1 on the first bet, but you can be confident that UTG+1 will raise again (and that BB will throw his last money in), so you are effectively getting 8.5:1 if you continue. Not enough for a gutshot, so I think you can safely fold again.