Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Does Bald Discrimination Exist (and if so, to what extent)?

Inspired by the obvious on Sunday night.

My personal story:
Im 26. I started losing my hair around 20. It hurt to see small clumps come out in the shower, while washing my hair. I remember a girl telling me NEVER to shave my head in college. More or less saying that bald men were completely unattractive.

I've been shaving my head regularly for the past 2 years. In the beginning, I was using an electric razor once every two weeks or so. Now, I'm using a straight razor once/week. My hair is normal on the sides, but thin in the front and the top/part (typical male pattern baldness areas). It isn't all that noticeable until around 7-10 days, in which case I feel it becomes a must to shave it again.

I think I'm still a fairly attractive guy in terms of physical appearance. I do however get FAR less women now than I did with a full head of hair. Truth-be-told, I never had a problem with women in high school. Some reasons for this could include (beyond the hair):
-in high school/college, you still had the world ahead of you: so money wasn't as big of an issue.
-grinding out micro stakes in one's apartment isn't the most social environment
-I'm in good shape (far, far above the average male), but nowhere near the amazing shape I was in HS/college
-My game never really improved. In HS, just flat-out asking a girl for a date would fly. As you get older? Not so much.

I'm curious to what people think regarding baldness in the outside world. Personally, I do think most bald men look a-like. So in terms of unique appearance, that is a clear disadvantage. Also, I should regretfully admit that I'm referring to "non-black bald men" here, as I think in the African community, it is somewhat of a fashion statement to have shaved/short hair.

Does bald discrimination exist far beyond a sexual attraction scope? Most of our Presidents were/are proud owners of a nice, full head of hair. Could baldness have any effect on potential employment?

Thoughts?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Does Bald Discrimination Exist (and if so, to what extent)?

Always have a lollipop with you.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:49 PM

I don't think so. I started going bald around 20 as well. I love it, and I don't think it has interfered with my attraction to the opposite sex, but I think it also has more to do with confidence than actual appearance. If you're comfortable with your aerodynamic advantage, women won't mind.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not following

Another reason girls may no longer be attracted to me:
-Fading wit
Old 10-31-2007, 03:51 PM

For 26 year olds, it does...

You pool of chicks got quartered at best.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:05 PM

I think it can be both an advantage and disadvantage, it all depends on your personality. I have a good friend that is 25 and straight up bald, not balding. He does very well for himself as far as females go, much better than some of the people I know with classic good looks. I also don't think you should put much stock into not getting as much play as when you were in HS/College having that much to do with your lack of hair. You have so many options in school that it's really not even fair to graduate. Unless you want your main focus in life to be getting the ladies in the sack, I don't think it's possible to have as much success with women in the real world as you would in school. I guess the moral of my story is that you can be a baldy and still pull quality women, you just need to make up for the potential lack of physical attraction with your personality. Obviously some women won't want anything to do with you, but the same can be said for being short, overweight, poor, toothless, mean, gay (well not really, chicks love the gays), or humorless. I like to think there's a lot of hot girl's with good personalities out there that will like a guy despite their appearance and financial status, but I might just be delusional.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not following

Another reason girls may no longer be attracted to me:
-Fading wit

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a reference to Kojak... before your time.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:31 PM

pics of your head plz. I have a hard time believing you look better with male pattern baldness than a straight shaved head. Unless you're pretty wiry or have a truly oddly shaped head, I feel most dudes, white or black, would do better completely bald. Just my two cents, though.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:45 PM

Im no woman and Im not bald so take this fwiw.

I have regulary cut my hair short during the summer (1-3mm). I do not get less girls. One of my best friends is going bald so he has 1-3mm all year long. He gets as many girls as the next one.

Maybe this is a Swedish thing though.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pics of your head plz. I have a hard time believing you look better with male pattern baldness than a straight shaved head. Unless you're pretty wiry or have a truly oddly shaped head, I feel most dudes, white or black, would do better completely bald. Just my two cents, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I think that a shaved head is usually much better than trying to hold onto the hair you have or, heaven forbid, a comb-over.