Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 01:07 AM

Default Re: My friend drives drunk

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Depending on how much you care, you could always get a pool going to install one of the breathalyzer-ignition hookup things that habitual drunks are forced to have.

[/ QUOTE ]

And why on earth would he allow this to happen? It's not like you can hook [censored] up to someone else's car without their permission.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can't possibly this stupid. There's all sorts of consequences of drunk driving, few of which the driver would "allow" to happen.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't possibly this stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

touche
Old 07-17-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Depending on how much you care, you could always get a pool going to install one of the breathalyzer-ignition hookup things that habitual drunks are forced to have.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And why on earth would he allow this to happen? It's not like you can hook [censored] up to someone else's car without their permission.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You can't possibly this stupid. There's all sorts of consequences of drunk driving, few of which the driver would "allow" to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't possibly be this dense. There is a huge difference between getting arrested for DUI, seeing a judge, and him saying get a breathalyzer installed on your car or lose your license and when a bunch of the guy's friends get together to try to buy him the thing.

In the first instance it is court mandated and has negative consequences should he choose not to have it installed. In the second instance he can tell his friends to [censored] off and it's not a problem.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:11 AM

Glad someone else caught that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2007, 01:14 AM

I wrote this stream of consciousness and a bit is hypothetical conversations so sorry if its tough to read

Waki,

Initially the crux of my suggestion would be to DD and take cabs and carpool etc but it seems like that is not going to work because he is going out a lot without you and because you live relatively far away (and because you don't want to be sober all the time)

When you talk to him while he is sober. Does he think this is a bad idea or he thinks hes a fine drunk driver? If he thinks he is a good driver then you will not convince him otherwise so showing him pictures if girls with their faces burnt off in car fires will do nothing but close his ears to your argument.

Is he a smart guy? Is he a utilitarian? If so, I think that you should try to get him to look at this from an EV approach. Use his great job as a leverage point; my blind guess is that he is a lawyer, if this is the case you can try to sell him on the fact that "yea, i know that you are usually (throw usually in there) fine to drive but you know that if you get caught you could be disbarred (is that even true?). I know that the legal limit should not be .08 but if you drink 5 beers, and youre always drinking 5 beers, then you will be over the limit and if you ever get pulled over then it would be a major hassle. If you get caught .05% of the time and the hassle costs you $250,000 in future earnings is it really worth that stake and shake...?" etc etc.

The fact of the matter is, you need to tread this conversation like a negotiation. Let him say his point first and concede little things to him (yes, i agree youre a decent driver) but then lock him into a corner (duh, well i guess losing my job would be bad) and slowly walk him along your argument. Once you have him agreeing that the consequences are bad then you should lead him to a solution (So, how can you avoid losing your job? Dont drive. But I want to go out.... well how about a cab? have your gf drive... etc)

I would definitely go with the negotiation approach.

If that doesn't work then you have to let him know (have conversation sober) that you will never let him drive drunk and that you will take his keys when he is drinking. When he starts to drink ask him for his keys. Yes, you will be a huge buzz kill but its better then the alternative...

Pretty much the suggestion is:
1- sit him down for a serious negotiation where you let him come to the realization that its a problem and have him suggest a solution
2- never let him drink and drive in your presence. Let him know ahead of the time that you wont allow it. Use the guise of him not losing his job.
3- tell his girlfriend to nag him about it?

without more info I can't really help you with specific suggestions. the more background info you provide about your friend the easier it is to brainstorm solutions
Old 07-17-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a huge difference between getting arrested for DUI, seeing a judge, and him saying get a breathalyzer installed on your car or lose your license and when a bunch of the guy's friends get together to try to buy him the thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Friends get together and say, "DrunkBob, give us your keys. You're drunk." DrunkBob says, "I will not allow this to happen." Friends say, "Too bad," and take the keys.

Friends get together and say, "We all have $X to buy this thing, let's do it." DrunkBob says, "I will not allow this to happen." Friends say, "Too bad," and do it anyways.

Obviously drastic, which is why I said it depends on how much DrunkBob's friends care. If they care just a little, they'll take his keys every night, whether he likes it or not. If they care a ton, they'll put a breathalyzer in his car, whether he likes it or not. If they care in between... I dunno, something else.

Once they decide to install it, the biggest obstacle becomes him paying to get it uninstalled. Don't know how you get around that.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Once they decide to install it, the biggest obstacle becomes him paying to get it uninstalled. Don't know how you get around that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Borrow a friend's car obv

Seriously this is a bad idea.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:21 AM

wtf would let DrunkBob take their car?

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously this is a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, ok, I was grasping at straws since wacki seemed desperate for actual suggestions. Its a bad idea.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Friends get together and say, "We all have $X to buy this thing, let's do it." DrunkBob says, "I will not allow this to happen." Friends say, "Too bad," and do it anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a large jump from buying one of these to getting installed in his car and keeping him from ripping it out of his car and throwing it in a dumpster.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, ok, I was grasping at straws since wacki seemed desperate for actual suggestions. Its a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just think it's one thing to drunkenly force a friend into a cab / friend's car / to give up his keys, it's another to actually pay for and install an expensive device in his automobile (which probably won't be done while he's drunk) ...

i'm pretty much sure guids has this right, and if not then read my 2nd post in the thread... the answer is just beating his ass / forcing him (while he's drunk) not to drive, which contrary to popular belief, is neither difficult nor time consuming when done correctly.