Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 03-01-2007, 06:11 AM

Default How much is a degree from a low level law school worth? (and more ?s)

This gets kinda personal QLC style, but whatever.

How much is a law degree in general worth nowadays? You often read articles that indicate there are too many law students, etc. Is this ever possible?

Now obv a degree from an esteemed university is going to be worth some decent money, but what about a midlevel Uni? And what about a low level uni?

For recent grads (and anyone else): How has the real world been? Do you regret your choice to go to law school? How has the job market been? Did you know what you wanted to pursue beforehand and if not, how satisfied are you with what you are doing now?

Reason for questions: I've been playing poker for a while now, trying out different jobs, trying to find my niche with what I want to do and have been fairly unsuccessful at doing much except getting by, enjoying life. I'm 24, pretty settled with a serious gf and still pretty aimless. I'm very laid back and money is not a priority in my life, however providing for a family, etc is.

In college I kinda skated by with a ~3.3 gpa. I take standardized tests very well and believe I could do well enough on the lsats to get in somewhere, but not the best school I'd imagine. At this point in time I'm wondering if it would be worth it. I would hate to finish up more school and feel as aimless as I am now.

Thoughts, comments, flames appreciated. Any sort of stories, adventures, or cautionary tales about law school or practice encouraged.

thanks.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Re: How much is degree from a low level law school worth? (and more ?s

tpf,

If you finish near the top of your class, you'll be able to get a very good job. Maybe not (but possibly) a job at a top firm paying 160k or whatever they pay to new grads, but you'll be able to get a good job and if you do well at that, be able to get a better job.

No idea what the outlook is like for grads from lower/mid schools who don't do that well in school.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:17 AM

el d,
i should have clarified- if i choose to go to school again it will be with every intention to bust my ass and do as well as possible.

i skated by in college mainly because i had no idea what i was really going to class for.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:27 AM

Also, regarding jobs out of school:

I am of the personality type that thinks
40-50hr weeks for 60-80k >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>> 80-100hr weeks for 100-150k

basically time with family & friends is much higher on my priority list than being wealthy. i have no problem putting in 80+hr weeks for, say, the next 5 years. but more than that doesn't make any sense to me. i have NO interest in being 35yo and in the office until 10 while the wife and kids eat dinner alone.

how true is the 80hr+ week for young grads?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:40 AM

tpf,

I have friends who worked for smaller law firms or at companies where they worked reasonable hours. At big firms, they all work those type of ridiculous hours.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
40-50hr weeks for 60-80k >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>> 80-100hr weeks for 100-150k

how true is the 80hr+ week for young grads?

[/ QUOTE ]

Commonplace. Remember, though that in big firms, $ goes up 10% a year or more as you move up in seniority. A solid lawyer six years out could hit $350K, and the lowest level of equity partnership was worth $1.1MM. If you can stomach holding the brass ring for a few years (and the job never gets easier), you can jump ship, scale down, and live very well indeed. It is a dangerous strategy, however, if you get addicted to spend.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:00 AM

at most big firms, the associates aren't going to work 80+ hours a week every week. the number of 80 hour weeks will vary, but will the exception of a couple firms, they shouldn't be the norm. that being said, 60+ hours a week will be the norm at most big places.

many associates will leave after 5 or so years and take jobs in house, in the government, smaller firm etc. big firms push their clients to hire their associates, with the hope that then those former associates will continue to hire the firm for the client's work. these jobs typically involve less hours than working at a firm, at less (but still good) pay.

typical firm will consider people for partnership after 8 years, but its going to be hard at most places. partners of course make the big money, but generally not as much as 1.1 mil for a junior partner. the other perk of being partner is working less hours too. to some extent, the associates do all the work while the partners go home, but of course this will vary too.

to do any of this from a low level law school, you will need to graduate in the top 5% of your class. even then, could be a problem to get hired outside of the area the school is in. a NYC firm isn't going to look to favorably on the top students from a low-level school in the midwest, while they are more likely to consider the top students from the crappy NYC area law schools.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:33 PM

Joe is correct. If you go to a lower tier school, make sure it's in the metropolitan area that you want to live and settle in. The alumni networks for the local less-prestigious law firms will keep you in business. And even bigger firms are more willing to hire you because of their exposure to people from that school.

Also, in the end it doesn't matter where you went to law school. If you are quality, you'll make a good living. Alot of lawyers run their own small firms and make as much or more as partners in the big firms.

natedogg
Old 03-01-2007, 12:45 PM

I'm a 1L right now.

I really enjoy my coursework and it is not at all overwhelming. I was similar to you in that I did well in college but I could have done better. If you view law school as a full-time job and just commit yourself to law school work from 9am-6pm, Monday through Friday, take Saturday off, and then a few hours on Sunday, you will be able to get everything you need done without need for all-nighters. Things do get hectic when memos or due or come finals, but that is not the norm.

If you have any specific questions about the 1L experience, feel free to post or PM me.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: How much is a degree from a low level law school worth? (and more ?s)

This sounds obvious, but WAY too many people don't follow this advice:

Don't go to law school unless you genuinely want to practice law.

If your reason for wanting to go to law school is to make more money than the average soul, you will be miserable in practice. Pick something you really love to do, then find a way to make money doing it.