Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 03-28-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Once a cheater always a cheater.........

NLsoldier and I were having a little convo about this and I figured I should ask the masses. Any born again non-cheaters here? What made you convert? Anyone seen a cheater change his ways? What about those that cheat on most relationships but claim they are faithful to lover X. Just curious as to how often it happens and what are the telltale signs that he/she truly has converted.

I have a feeling it doesn't happen without some major trauma (STD scare, abusive relationship, age related crisis, etc) but I'm always try to keep an open mind and learn from other people.

EDIT: X-posted in EDF by request of NLsoldier, all hail El Diablo!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Once a cheater always a cheater.........

I'll be honest here. I used cheat on every girl I was with. I was immature and believed that I was entitled to [censored] whomever I pleased. Most of my friends knew that I cheated on my girlfriends and gave me props. I just never really considered the ramifications of my actions.

2 things changed my ways. I haven't cheated on a girl since my girlfriend from my junior year in college and I doubt I ever will again either.

(1) I had a girl cheat on me. I don't want to go into the details, but I wasn't upset because I thought I was in love or anything... I just felt betrayed.

(2) My sister's boyfriend cheated on her. To see her go through that, made me feel like a piece of [censored] for every girl I ever cheated on. I honestly hope that I didn't cause the pain that my sister went through.

Here is a completely random question.

What if you had a friend who was getting married to a girl soon and you know that he cheats on her constantly and still does.... what should you do? I have already told him not to marry her bc of that fact. He says he will stop cheating when he gets married
Old 03-28-2007, 02:25 AM

Steel, thanks for sharing. That certainly opened up my eyes. The sister thing is not something I would expect to convert a cheater. How upset was she? Was it just crying for a few days or was it something much more traumatic than that?

As for the friend/marriage thing that is a tough spot. I honestly don't know what I would do.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:35 AM

I'd say only a small fraction of cheaters are able to fully convert. The problem is, unlike a drug user, the rammifications only come into play if you get caught.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:57 AM

Here's a slightly different angle on this topic. I have never cheated on a girl when I've been in a relationship, but I have slept with girls who were in relationships themselves. Am I bad?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a slightly different angle on this topic. I have never cheated on a girl when I've been in a relationship, but I have slept with girls who were in relationships themselves. Am I bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of years ago, I would have said that it's perfectly fine. My logic is if I guy can't hold on to his girl then tough for him. Now, after being cheated on, I just don't want to be that guy. I'm not preaching, it's just something you have to go through to understand.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Steel, thanks for sharing. That certainly opened up my eyes. The sister thing is not something I would expect to convert a cheater. How upset was she? Was it just crying for a few days or was it something much more traumatic than that?

As for the friend/marriage thing that is a tough spot. I honestly don't know what I would do.

[/ QUOTE ]

She was with the guy for over a year and a half and he was her first. That should give you hints about her state. Me and my brother wanted to go to his house with a bat and break his knee caps, but my sister said he wasn't worth it and begged us not to. I kind of felt like a hypocrite for being so angry since I was probably a bigger slime ball than he was. He actually told her and she probably wouldn't have ever found out.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, it's on the one in the relationship.

I mean, let's say you pick up a chick, take her home and bang her, then find out later she has a b/f or is married. They're the one that cheated. You could be anyone. Though many won't see it that way.

Now, if it's a bud of mine's g/f or wife, that's quite a bit different. You just don't do that to a bud. If a bud did that to me, we're done.

But to answer the OP, yes, cheaters can change. It's called maturity(for the most part). Would I date someone that cheated on me? No. They had their chance on that ride. Could I date someone that cheated on someone else in their past? Yes. Though not blindly.

b
Old 03-28-2007, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What if you had a friend who was getting married to a girl soon and you know that he cheats on her constantly and still does.... what should you do? I have already told him not to marry her bc of that fact. He says he will stop cheating when he gets married

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure he will.

Better yet, what if he asks you to be the best man? Could you stand up there next to him, showing full support of the marriage knowing all this?

I kinda detest these types of people. Why? Because they're putting you in a spot where if they get caught, the last one they'll blame it on is themselves.

b
Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 AM

Wacki,

I had never cheated on a girl until my last gf (not my current one). I guess you are asking for reasons and I hope they don't sound like excuses b/c there isn't any excuse for it. I shouldn't have been in the relationship but I was a coward and using this person as a security blanket. The relationship was long distance, I was out of the state for most of the year, either in college or then eventually playing professional baseball. When I got home she was at a school that wasn't where I lived. We saw each other but not that much.

I broke off the relationship for a few reasons. First, the relationship was [censored]. Secondly, I couldn't go on in a relationship of lies and knowing what had gone on. I needed a clean slate.

My current gf and I don't have any skeletons in the closet and what I felt like in the previous relationship is plenty enough to ever keep me from doing anything. On top of what I would feel like, I couldn't hurt my current gf whereas my previous one it didn't matter that much to me. I want my gf now to be happy and I want to treat her with the respect that she deserves (should have treated the previous one the same way...lesson learned). Now that I have learned this, I am happier and the relationship is smoother as well.