Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-23-2007, 05:11 PM

Default iPod transfer help please!

i moved, and took computer with me, with the entire itunes library. old roommate still has my ipod with all the songs on it.

how do we put the library from the ipod onto my old roommate's computer, so that it's on the new laptop??

i've heard you have to buy a disc or something..all i know is that if you plug in the ipod into the new itunes library, the ipod will update to the new itunes library, thus losing everything on the ipod...
Old 11-23-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: iPod transfer help please!

delete itunes, plug in ipod, go into my computer, locate the hidden files, copy them to computer, install itunes, add songs.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
delete itunes, plug in ipod, go into my computer, locate the hidden files, copy them to computer, install itunes, add songs.

[/ QUOTE ]
lozl I was writing something much longer but I'm pretty sure that'll work. nice.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:45 PM

Doesn't it ask before it syncs? You can probably just go into task manager and kill everything with iTunes in the title instead of uninstalling iTunes.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

those are going to be the sticky points for me, i think...where will these 'hidden files' be? and then when i find them, i just click 'copy to computer'??

so plugging in the ipod when there's no itunes installed, the songs will pop up as a file/folder? then i go to my computer, copy THAT file to the computer (which will probably take a while with this many songs), then re-install itunes, and drag the file/folder with all the song into the itunes library?

sorry, this stuff isn't my thing..however, i'll be a hero if i get it done!

thanks..
Old 11-23-2007, 07:11 PM

if you plug your ipod in, click on "My Computer", your ipod will show up as a drive.

click on it to open it. then go to tools > folder options > view > show hidden files

then it will bring up like 100 folders with random names. your songs will be titled like sdfjlkjdsfs randomly through these folders. don't worry, just highlight them and drag them into a desktop folder. then install itunes and import these folders into itunes and songs will load with correct artists and titles.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:16 PM

there is a program called Copy pod (i think its called Copy Trans now) that i use. You do have to "pay" for it to use it fully. but it works great.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you plug your ipod in, click on "My Computer", your ipod will show up as a drive.

click on it to open it. then go to tools > folder options > view > show hidden files

then it will bring up like 100 folders with random names. your songs will be titled like sdfjlkjdsfs randomly through these folders. don't worry, just highlight them and drag them into a desktop folder. then install itunes and import these folders into itunes and songs will load with correct artists and titles.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're the man, thank you..

i'll see what i can do. it's doubtful that it'll go through with no hitches, but i can always check back..

thanks again..
Old 11-24-2007, 08:09 AM

I haven't used it, but I know some people who are fans of the free program iDump.