Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-22-2007, 11:43 PM

Default hi i havbe a small issue

i recently depositted my $500 birthday money on party poker

I want to build my bankroll and evnetually crush the games

should I start with sngs or the 1/2nl games?? my friend said sngs were better because you play longer and are forced to play through and he also said that in cash games people frequently just dont care about the money or splay seriousyl. im not sure which id prefer

what do I do???
Old 11-22-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: hi i havbe a small issue

Well, I'm going to make the assumption that you are new to online poker, and probably pretty new to poker in general. In which case I would have to say don't you dare sit at the 200NL game, without even getting into your lack of a bankroll for it.

Ok, so since that is out of the way, what exactly IS your experience with poker so far? If you've already proved you are a winning player (winning $12 from your friends doesn't count), then you have the roll for the 25NL games and could start grinding those.

As far as playing cash games or SnGs, well thats hard to say. Which do you like? Which do you make more money from? It really comes down to which one you enjoy more.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:48 PM

regardless of what you decide, if you haven't played online at all, i wouldn't play 1-2nl unless you mean the one cent-two cent table. unless you are already a winning player, you will probably end up losing your b-day money pretty quickly. for what it is worth, that is my opinion.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:48 PM

1/2 nl with a $500 bankroll is a bad idea...you'll be waiting until next birthday for a new bankroll...

play microlimits...500 is good for about .10/.25

i started with sngs, though eventually i realized unless you were playing a ton of them daily, your time is better spent in cash games..

gl..
Old 11-22-2007, 11:52 PM

i thought sngs were really great for learning fundamentals. i didnt win at poker until i won at sngs
Old 11-22-2007, 11:57 PM

Thats too big a question to answer easliy.

You need to make a plan and stick to it. Are you to be playing Sng's or Cash. They are both different animals.

Your goal is to build your roll and crush the games. haha thats the goal of most players on here. This takes time. months, possibly years.

"should i start with sngs or the 1/2nl games ??" Im assuming from this you are unaware of bankroll management and the effect of variance. 1/2NL also known as NL200 games have a max buy in of $200. that means you have 2.5 buyins. you shouldbe looking around 20buyins to be rolled for this. $500 means you should be playing the NL25 games.

Poker is not a get rich quick hobby. It takes time, study. There are a lot of good players online ready to take your money if you go on and start gambling.

Without knowing your experience, etc i would suggest picking either the 10NL to get comfortable online or the 25NL if you are a reasonable player. If you find you are losing drop down a level. Play 10,000 hands and analyse your play then post again and take it from there. OR play the $5 or $10sng's to get used to the format building up to higher games as you get more experienced and can prove over hundreds of games that you are a winning player.

I hope this doesnt sound like a lecture and a boring way to approach the game but the game of NL poker has a variable luck element which can easily set you down 5 buyins at a cash game even if you are playing well or you could lose 20 sngs in a row playing well.

If you dont mind rebuying your $500 thats a different story but working with just $500 that would be my plan.

Lets see what others say [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

good luck
Old 11-22-2007, 11:59 PM

4 people replied before i had finished. I can honestly say i think this forum is full of the most helpful posters ive ever known. i wish i had discovered this forum years ago.

a pat on the back to all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2007, 08:46 AM

thanks for the advic so far guys, and i know its not a get rich quick hobby but ive always been good at cards and i think I have some potential.

Couldnt i lower the buyins required for 1/2nl by buying in for less??

also what books will help me crush the games like my nephews fingers when he talks back to me?
Old 11-23-2007, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Couldnt i lower the buyins required for 1/2nl by buying in for less??

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you want to play 1/2nl so badly? You don't have enough for it. Also, accept that you are a beginner. Right now you need to LEARN. Start at the lowest game possible.
[ QUOTE ]

also what books will help me crush the games like my nephews fingers when he talks back to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are good books, but the most helpful thing are these forums. Go to the PL/NL micro stakes section.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:13 AM

I am also pretty new to the game but I have to agree that you will lose very quickly if you go in, out of your depth, with such a big ego.

I think to be a winning player you will need a full buy in.
with the small stack you'll have a hard time crushing the table. I think you'll be forced to make too many big decisions pre-flop.