Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 11-12-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Bizarre river raise

(This is Commerce 20/40 if it matters)

A fairly loose-aggressive player opens in EP; I 3-bet in the hijack with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. A very strange player takes 3 to the face on the button. He's been playing incredibly aggressive preflop and then spazzy post-flop, which often means checking monsters and semi-bluff raising the turn. It's hard to put him on hands; I guess he's a thinking LAG with FPS. Blinds fold, EP calls the 3-bet.

Flop comes 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. EP checks, I bet, button calls, EP calls.

Turn brings 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. EP checks, I bet, both call.

River is the 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. EP checks, I bet, button raises, EP folds, and I... ?

Old 11-12-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Bizarre river raise

This is a flush almost 100% of the time, correct? A set would have to put in a raise somewhere, right? And it's unlikely that he is going to call 3 with 93 73 or 53. Even if it's not a flush, I can't see him paying you off with less than a flush. Given that you have both the K and Q, I just call.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:47 PM

Hard to believe he wouldn't raise w/ a set before the river, or a flush for that matter, and you beat most flushes.

I 3-bet this river.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:27 PM

I can't see doing anything buy calling here - this guy could easily have the nut flush or a boat. We need a good read to 3-bet, and we don't have one. Plus it's not that out of line for him to call twice with a strong hand, because he could have been trying to get overcalls from SB.

Is it wrong to want to just check the flop here?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What for? Not only are we ahead of their PF ranges pretty often, but we flopped a flush draw and two overs. This doesn't seem like the spot to refuse making a continuation bet. Plus, if we check and there's a bet and raise into us, cold-calling turns our hand face up.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:45 PM

It's ridiculous to check this flop.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What for? Not only are we ahead of their PF ranges pretty often, but we flopped a flush draw and two overs. This doesn't seem like the spot to refuse making a continuation bet. Plus, if we check and there's a bet and raise into us, cold-calling turns our hand face up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting/raising this flop is as automatic as they come.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:07 PM

I would 3-bet.

I feel his most likely hand is a high pocket pair or A9 that is raising the river for value, banking that he's usually ahead and that on this scattered board you won't have a 3-betting hand ever. He doesn't put you on a flush because you 3-bet preflop which contraindicates suited cards in his mind.

I think he will usually pay you off with several hands less than a flush.

I'd call a four-bet because he is a spaz.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I don't think we're ahead all that often - it seems optimistic to think that neither of them has a pair or A-high. I dunno, I guess betting is still right since we could have as many as 15 outs if our overcards are good. If button raises and EP calls, are you 3-betting for value?
Old 11-12-2007, 06:29 PM

Well, Ace high might fold and then we win monies. Even if one of the villian has a small pair, we are an equity advantage as long as he doesnt hold a K or Q. If the 3rd player comes along for the ride then we gain even more equity.