Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 07:29 PM

Default My friend drives drunk

I hate to say it but I have a friend that has an incredibly high alcohol tolerance and isn't afraid to drive drunk. One of his relatives and I have tried to get him to stop but he just doesn't listen as he's convinced he can drive well. Yes, I know he's being idiotic. I have to admit he seems to be able to drive pretty well when he's drunk but I want to convince him to stop... or at least limit his driving.

We've thought about buying him a breathalyser but that will only prevent him from driving on the worst of days. Another thing he's actually excited about doing is testing how well he can drive on a driving simulator and compare that to his sober driving. This might give him a good idea what his limits really are. Does anyone here have any suggestions for a computer program that might fit this need well?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: My friend drives drunk

Wait till he crashes and dies. Then laugh and say I told you so.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:34 PM

if he does it habitually then it might actually be worth it to make sure he gets a DUI so that he stops.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:35 PM

I don't know anyone who drives drunk who has been compelled to stop because people asked him to.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait till he crashes and an innocent child dies. Then laugh and say I told you so.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-16-2007, 07:39 PM

Driving drunk is one of the greatest feelings in the world. Don't deprive your friends of it.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Driving drunk is one of the scariest feelings in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

There's a lot of really stupid advice in this thread. A close friend of mine lost a relative thanks to some f***ing idiot that thought he was fine drinking and driving.

Any obligation you have is as much to everyone else as it is to your friend. Get him a DUI and see if that helps clear his mind up a bit.

- C -
Old 07-16-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get him a DUI and see if that helps clear his mind up a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Terrible advice. Drunk drivers seem to have the highest rate of recidivism of any group except child molesters. The few that I know that have one usually have another, i.e. they don't learn. Meanwhile he's out thousands of dollars in legal fees and penalties, probably some jail time, and his credit, insurance, and background checks are all wrecked for a long period of time. That doesn't "learn" anyone, it just makes their situation even less tenable.

I honestly don't have a better solution right off of the top of my head aside from brute force/intervention or his own will to change, but ratting him out only benefits lawyers and insurance companies.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:02 PM

I doubt the recidivism rate is as high as the rate for people who constantly drunk drive and get away with it.

FWIW, I personally know several people who have been "scared straight" by a DUI or minor accident while under the influence.

I understand the point you're trying to make, tuq, I just disagree with your logic.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt the recidivism rate is as high as the rate for people who constantly drunk drive and get away with it.

FWIW, I personally know several people who have been "scared straight" by a DUI or minor accident while under the influence.

I understand the point you're trying to make, tuq, I just disagree with your logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure I read somewhere that recidivism rates due to stricter DUI penalties (i.e. 1 year license suspension) has dropped for those actually arrested, so what you're saying makes sense Mia... but I bet there are still a ton of arrested, repeat offenders so I think tuq's point stands.

Also, if you drink alot, not particularly hard to blow a .08 BAC. For most that doesn't qualify as drunk driving I guess but it is the law currently in place.

-Al