Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Bet/fold the river oop

Two spots from today's sessions where I bet the river oop and planned to fold to a raise. Fortunately in both hands I wasnt put to the test [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] In the second hand I am also unsure about the whole line. Should I have played it fast?

Opponent in both hands is 29/19/2,3, multitabling winning regular

$15/$30 6-handed

Hero UTG with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero opens, 2 fold, Button 3bets, 2 fold, Hero calls.

Flop 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Button bets, Hero raises, Button calls.

Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets, Button raises, Hero 3bets, Button calls.

River A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets and plans to fold to a raise

$15/$30 6-handed

Hero in the BB with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hijack opens, 2 fold, Hero calls.

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Hijack bets, Hero calls

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Hijack bets, Hero calls

River 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets and plans to fold to a raise
Old 11-12-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Bet/fold the river oop

I want to check/call the river in hand 1. I think you have defined your hand as a flush and you give your opponent a chance to knock you off of it. I don't think he's calling with a worse flush and I don't think you're folding out a better one. Give him a chance to bluff at it. Also you're giving yourself a reason to fold for 1BB in a huge pot. That is a recipe for disaster. (For the record I'm pretty sure you're beat and would have gotten value bet on the river if you checked but now you'll never know).

Hand 2 makes me want to cry. I think you need to play the hand way more aggressively. I c/r the flop and lead the turn planning on folding to a raise. As played I don't mind the b/f line on the river.

Disclaimer: I may be awful
Old 11-12-2007, 06:53 PM

I usually play 3/6 so I am not sure about the general agression level at 15/30.

I cant see any value in betting hand #1, if you opp is not a maniac folding once in a while in that spot isnt horrible, he is not value betting worse so you only beat a bluff.

hand #2 I would check raise either the flop or the turn. Not sure why you check / call the turn and think all of a sudden that your hand is worth a value bet on the river.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:54 PM

Hand 1 is interesting if he is 100% certain you have a flush, and that you will b/f say 8hxh or worse. What on earth were you raising that UTG for though? It sucks.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 is interesting if he is 100% certain you have a flush, and that you will b/f say 8hxh or worse. What on earth were you raising that UTG for though? It sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, totally overlooked the fact that you raised pf in hand 1. I agree that you should never do that again.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that you should never do that again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with two bad players in the blinds that I would like to play a hand against in position? Btw, I do fold it 85% UTG...
Old 11-12-2007, 08:15 PM

Hand 1

River really depends on villain.

If villain is, say, QQ_Four_t who is capable of folding AQ there isnt much value in a bet and I would be inclined to just c/f.

If villain is, say, Valuedonky you can just value bet as he cant fold AQ in this spot. (At least against me it seems)

I dont like folding to a raise tho. Not a lot of hearts in villains range. Mostly you will see QQ, 99, 55, KK, AQ and KQ played like this. Except from KQ(3 heart combos) and KK(3) those hands dont have a heart very often.

If you b/f this against me you will fold the best hand often enough for it to be a mistake.

Oh and fold PF if you like money. You are ending up OOP in a 3-bet pot too often here.

Oh oh. Even tho you have a good draw I doubt you will get a fold often enough on this board. Meh! Prolly close. I just dont think its a no brainer flop c/r.

Hand 2

I'd rather check to induce. All draws missed and if villain is strong and winning bla bla he should realize that and 3 barrel.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:23 PM

Hand 1 IF you bet, quickly call a raise. Too exploitable and of all the boards for people to river bluffraise this is the most obvious type. Fold preflop too but whatever. Flop CR just seems like huge and he will certainly have some hands that will not continue here. I mean your UTG range should hit this flop pretty decently so he will not have a profitable calldown with Ace high IMO against your range.

-DeathDonkey