Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Adults dupe teen into MySpace-assisted suicide

[ QUOTE ]
This is a different case because they probably didn't realize their actions would have such extreme results.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I decide to bomb an "empty" building, except the building doesn't happen to be empty when I blow it up, I should get off on murdering people because I didn't realize my actions would cause such extreme results?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think they are/should be legally responsible for this but it's pretty clear that they're ethically responsible to some degree

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't read the whole thread yet, but I think this is the right answer.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
li·a·ble (l-bl)
adj.
1. Legally obligated; responsible:

so we're talking legal responsibility right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You just SONNED him hard. Wow. Funny to read kyle's series of posts before this where he tries to separate the two and then read this.

bitch moan count
Old 11-16-2007, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So what if the 16 year old boy was real and was genuinely interested in her and then had a change of heart?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not malicious, this obviously was. Their intent and sole purpose was to cause her pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

A ton of "pranks" are played every day in this world. Almost all pranks are funny because the cause a person some form of pain, discomfort, or embarrassment.

I think we're being very results oriented with our thinking here. If the little girl hadn't killed herself, would we really have such a negative view of the other girl's parents?

Also the article is ridiculously vague in many issues. For all we know the parent's role in the entire thing could've been their kid saying to them "Hey mom and dad, I want to play a prank on my friend...can you show me how to set up a new myspace account and find a picture of a teenage boy and make it look like I'm him?" and the parents agreeing to help. The article is also very vauge on how and why they would know about the girl's depression.

bmc
Old 11-16-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A ton of "pranks" are played every day in this world. Almost all pranks are funny because the cause a person some form of pain, discomfort, or embarrassment.

[/ QUOTE ]

and tons of pranks result in those involved being deemed liable.

[ QUOTE ]
I think we're being very results oriented with our thinking here. If the little girl hadn't killed herself, would we really have such a negative view of the other girl's parents?

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely, b/c adults screwing w/children in this manner is pathetic.

[ QUOTE ]
Also the article is ridiculously vague in many issues. For all we know the parent's role in the entire thing could've been their kid saying to them "Hey mom and dad, I want to play a prank on my friend...can you show me how to set up a new myspace account and find a picture of a teenage boy and make it look like I'm him?" and the parents agreeing to help. The article is also very vauge on how and why they would know about the girl's depression.

bmc

[/ QUOTE ]

even if what you say is the actual extent of the parents involvement, they are still liable/responsible for the actions of their children.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:53 AM

no.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:25 AM

Has anybody considered the possibility of it actually being the jaded friend who set up the account and communicated as "Josh" to the girl who committed suicide? This sounds exactly like the sort of thing a girl her age would do, and less the sort of thing her parents would do. Her parents may have decided to take the whole blame for this to take the heat off the girl, and maybe also to make her feel less guilty. Maybe they thought that if their daughter entertained the idea that she was entirely responsible for her best friend's death, she might commit suicide too, or at least have some kind of mental trauma. Has nobody noticed that the daughter has received no attention at all from this? (Except from idiots who think she should be murdered just to get back at her parents)
Old 11-16-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This sounds exactly like the sort of thing a girl her age would do, and less the sort of thing her parents would do. Her parents may have decided to take the whole blame for this to take the heat off the girl, and maybe also to make her feel less guilty.

[/ QUOTE ]

possible, but as parents they are still liable for the actions of their children.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:17 AM

anybody posting links to, or copies of, their contact information is going to get banned. we are not allowing 2p2 to be used as a launching point for illegal harassment.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the more I think about it the more I think the parents "at fault" aren't likely to have any legal responsibiltiy here at all... I mean there's that whole family of whack-job religious fundamentalists (or whatever you'd call them) who travel to the funerals of dead US Soldiers with signs saying "god kills f*gg*t troops" and cheering and such... if they haven't gotten arrested yet then this can't possibly be a crime right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That religious family only uses religion as a vehicle to collect money. My uncle went to law school with Fred Phelps and Fred put himself through lawschool by sending his children around the neighborhood to beg for money IIRC. Fred Phelps and his family are just scammers that play on stupid people with a biggotry toward homosexuals. He is no more a representation of Christianity than Jim Jones or David Koresh.