Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Want to start listening to Vai and Satriani - album recommendations?

I've heard Flying on a Blue Dream and The Extremist for Satriani, and I don't know with Vai.

Also, any other sweet guitar albums I should download?

Thanks,
fox
Old 08-31-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Want to start listening to Vai and Satriani - album recommendation

For Vai, I peronally think the three must-haves are Flex-Able, Passion & Warfare, and Alien Love Secrets. The latter one has gotten some mixed reviews but it's my personal favorite so I'm tossing it in nevertheless. Oh, and the soundtrack for "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" contains some awesome shredding by Steve Vai and great songs by Megadeth, Faith No More, Primus, and others.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Want to start listening to Vai and Satriani - album recommendations?

I have to agree with ZeTurd on his Vai selections. Passion And Warefare, and Alien Love Secrets are must haves. I haven't been able to get into anything he has done since ALS, but that is just me.

For Satch, you can't go wrong with Surfing With The Alien. I also really like Engines Of Creation.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Want to start listening to Vai and Satriani - album recommendations?

this brings back memories right here..... (Vai was with Diamond Dave for a bit too... some good ones there as well)

dont forget Stu Hamm
Old 08-31-2007, 04:48 PM

Vai has a compilation called The 7th Song that features only his ballads. I thought it was really good. But if you want a more varied look at him, I agree that Passion and Warfare is his best.

Satriani is harder. His albums are all about the same quality. I probably like Crystal Planet a bit more than his other stuff, though.

If you really like instrumental guitar hero albums, you should also check out John Petrucci's solo album, Suspended Animation

And be sure to check out the various G3 videos if you want to see Satch and Vai in action. Each video features a few songs by both Satch and Vai and a third guitarist. Followed by a jam session featuring all 3 guitarists.

The videos are:

G3 Live in Concert (with Eric Johnson as third guitarist)

G3 Live in Denver (with Yngwie Malmsteen)

G3 Live in Tokyo (with John Petrucci)
Old 09-01-2007, 08:54 AM

As mentioned 7th song is pretty fantastic for Vai
Passion and warfare is the definitive album, mixing his insane technical ability with spotless songwriting

For Satriani I would say the ones listed in OP are some of his worst albums; The track 'Searching' of 'Is there love in space album' is one of the greatest tracks ever made (and the album is pretty fantastic)
Old 09-01-2007, 01:13 PM

For some reason most JS and SV leave me cold...technical wizardry that lack in musicality and emotion. I like Vai with Zappa better than most anything he's done since for that reason.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:51 AM

Surfing with the Alien for Satch; too short, but simply amazing...
Old 09-16-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason most JS and SV leave me cold...technical wizardry that lack in musicality and emotion. I like Vai with Zappa better than most anything he's done since for that reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realise that by posting this, the resulting discussion from people on both sides will shoot this thread to 1000 pages and 2p2 will implode. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?!?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:52 PM

Get Strange Beautiful Music by Satriani, you won't regret it. Surfing is good too.