Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Brag: Going to Train in MMA

pick one and do it for 3 hours a week.
You would be better off being really good at Clinch-Takedown-Ground than being mediocre at all ranges.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:12 AM

1 hour of each of those a week does not get you really good at any of them.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1 hour of each of those a week does not get you really good at any of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

what i meant to say was, if you spent 3 hours a week doing BJJ which encompasses (or should encompass) entering clinch-takedown-ground, you would be better off than doing MMA, which would have you work Striking (punching, elbows, kicks, knees etc), Entering clinch, clinch takedowns, clinch striking, ground
Old 06-26-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you're not willing to put at least an hour a day into practice and training, I'd say martial arts are probably not for you. Spending much of that hour on conditioning rather than skill refinement is also a pretty huge indicator that you're out of your depth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm *willing* to do this but the stupid MA schools that are around me don't offer daily classes. This is part of the reason I'm thinking about just joining an MMA school, although not anytime soon (I always put stuff off)

How does this look:

90 minutes JKD monday/wednesday
2 hours Judo Friday
2 hours JKD sunday

That gives me 7 hours a week, averaging an hour a day, but it's not training *every* day.

Also, how weak is it to train Judo only once a week? Should I just cut it out entirely if I'm gonna be that lame about it? The only reason I can't go more than once a week is because it conflicts with my JKD. I guess I could throw out the JKD, but it's my favorite!
Old 06-26-2007, 01:08 PM

That's a good amount of classes per week, and if they're active classes that really push you, then you can skip days on your conditioning and be fine, and will probably have to, just to recover. If the classes aren't very taxing, you'll need to go outside them to get in competitive shape.

You still might want to put in something light and aerobic on off days, like jumping rope or a run or a swim, and maybe a bit of stretching. Aerobic shape can go a little downhill in just a couple of days, it's so precarious, and flexibility is something that it always pays to keep up with.

Your judo sounds worth keeping. You will take a long time to get good that way, but if you learn to fall well, you're already getting your money's worth. And it teaches you actively how to keep your balance and mess up someone else's. That's at the very core of all martial arts and something that will help you a lot in your JKD trapping. Trapping definitely is not just all about the arms.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:21 PM

do some conditioning like the workouts on www.rosstraining.com 2-3 times/week and go to your 2 classes, you wont progress as fast as someone who can go every day but you can still get pretty good over time
Old 06-26-2007, 01:31 PM

Yessssssssssssssssss,

we steered you away from aikido. maybe it was the youtube videos i posted, i'll pat myself on the back either way.

I would definitely consider putting more than 3 hours a week into this. You can't do anything properly if it's only 3 hours a week.

What would we tell someone who wanted to become a poker player who was only gonna play 3 hours a week? Have fun, but don't expect serious results, ever. I would jump into whichever one you feel like doing first, although BJJ is very cardio intensive. I personally like going to an MMA gym where everything is kinda incorporated together. We don't learn any particular art but rather an amalgamation of all of the good ones, which means lots of wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai and boxing.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:50 PM

OK, here's my question...

Will my body be as aesthetically pleasing with MMA than weightlifting? I really do like looking at myself in the mirror...
Old 06-26-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, here's my question...

Will my body be as aesthetically pleasing with MMA than weightlifting? I really do like looking at myself in the mirror...

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, if the gym doesn't clean their mats properly, you can look forward to plenty of athletes foot, and other fungi that will grow on your legs and upper body.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:01 PM

WTF?