Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 07-12-2007, 01:05 AM

Default UB 5/10, QQ vs. psychopath

Happened last night. My copy of UB and my copy of PT are like me and my ex-girlfriend: they can't stand each other. So I don't have the HH, nor do I have stats. But I do have a read: Villain is a psychopath. He raises and re-raises preflop seemingly at random (QJo UTG), and will check/raise the turn with flopped bottom pair or total air if the voices in his head tell him to. In the blinds, this effect is magnified; the previous orbit, he three-bet a nit's EP raise from the SB with A8s and bet every street UI.

Hero has QQ in MP and opens. Folded to Psychopath in SB who three-bets. Hero caps, Villain calls.

Flop A74 rainbow. Villain checks, Hero checks and intends to check or call his way to showdown if he doesn't improve.

Is this the way to go, or do I want to get into a streetfight with a nutjob?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Re: UB 5/10, QQ vs. psychopath

[ QUOTE ]
Is this the way to go?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:29 AM

March, I think you are missing a lot value when freezing up against a maniac here. Can he have an Ace in the hole? Sure he can. And plenty of other garbage. Hero had an awesome hand, he is in position, and hero should be betting this flop. And turn.

If villain gets jiggy and C/Rs flop or turn, then it's calldown mode. You hand is strong, but not quite strong for a streetfight.

BBB, your reasoning?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:31 AM

well i don't think he'll call down with total nothing if we go bananas but he'll bet it if he's a true maniac
Old 07-12-2007, 01:40 AM

Hmmm ... so if he has an Ace we'd lose the minimum by calling down. If we have the best hand, we'll win more bets by inducing bluffs. Betting would likely force him to fold, we've shown a lot of strength and the Ace gotta be a scare card for him in a big way.

Dang ... I like it. Unless he's kind of a maniac that will try to C/R with air to make you fold. Kinda like me on tilt [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2007, 02:07 AM

I'd bet all streets for value. If villian checkraises you then call down from there.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:23 AM

I tend to agree with value betting until we're check/raised, at which point we call down. He's clearly not folding any pair, and probably at least peeling the flop for form's sake with ATC.

I like checking through the flop a lot more against a more typical LAG, who's likely to give you credit for a hand when you bet but likes to pounce on perceived weakness when he sees it.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:49 PM

You need to put in bets on every street.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Happened last night. My copy of UB and my copy of PT are like me and my ex-girlfriend: they can't stand each other. So I don't have the HH, nor do I have stats. But I do have a read: Villain is a psychopath. He raises and re-raises preflop seemingly at random (QJo UTG), and will check/raise the turn with flopped bottom pair or total air if the voices in his head tell him to. In the blinds, this effect is magnified; the previous orbit, he three-bet a nit's EP raise from the SB with A8s and bet every street UI.

Hero has QQ in MP and opens. Folded to Psychopath in SB who three-bets. Hero caps, Villain calls.

Flop A74 rainbow. Villain checks, Hero checks and intends to check or call his way to showdown if he doesn't improve.

Is this the way to go, or do I want to get into a streetfight with a nutjob?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against this guy. I like this approach. The only time these guys ever check or just call is when they hit the flop well. Most of the time anyway. I like your plan.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:19 PM

No way I check here ever.

He'll call with KT, let him.