Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 05-29-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Sunday Million: Q9s blind steal

In the end I checked, but while doing so was almost certain that it couldn't be the right play.

I believe that it's correct to bet/3 bet allin, however annoying it might be. I felt in pretty good shape at the table in general with one or two clear weak spots, so I didn't want to overcommitt myself in such a pot but it probably crossed the line into being too wimpy. I basically knew that if I bet and he raised, I would simply have to put all my chips in given the history, but wasn't super excited to do so.

Does anyone think that there is real value in checking? What if you are playing at a table where there are 3-4 really terrible players with decent stacks? (at this table there was only 1 really terrible player and maybe one sort of bad player)

Anyway I checked, turn was a seven, he bet 1500 I called, river was a nine, he checked I bet 2400 he folded.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:22 PM

I would probably check, but I don't know if it's right. When you check, you risk someone drawing out with a flush.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the end I checked, but while doing so was almost certain that it couldn't be the right play.

I believe that it's correct to bet/3 bet allin, however annoying it might be.

[/ QUOTE ]

the trouble is that you're basically a small dog to the 'big spade + 2 overs' range and a big one to all his real hands. so, yeah, checking sucks, but bet 3 betting isn't any better if he even remotely pot commits himself, and bet folding is really bad. IMO it's between checking and bet/calling (and hoping an A, K, or spade doesn't hit on the turn) and I'd rather just check and then raise any blank turn card.

btw this is somewhat tainted by him being the SB and having a tighter call range than the BB.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:51 PM

curtains, i think you played it well for a lot of reasons. u can't likely get it in on the flop as a big favorite, and even if u do u were likely even money or a dog vs. his entire range. and giving a free card is such a disaster because it disguises our hand and it's not like we have a monster here. i also think bet/folding flop is fine because he will def call w/ worse and if we think he is c/r'ing light we can just call and felt a blank/favorable turn. i think unless he is c/r'ing very very light only then b3b'ing ai is better than the other lines i suggested.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:54 PM

Hmm maybe I'm not so terrible after all, but really seemed like it was too weak. At least thats what the mighty NewtBuggs attempted to convince me of.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:51 PM

heh theres 3 spades on the board and your dealing with an opponent who is solid and not v tricky w my experience with 1 pair. i think you played it fine