Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 03-12-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Harris Ranch trip report

The food at Harris Ranch is the one saving grace of a route 5 trip from LA to San Francisco. Great place, especially when you consider it's in the middle of nowhere.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:10 AM

If I'm ever in CA this looks like its on the top of my list of places to eat.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this plane.

[/ QUOTE ]This plane is really sweet. I plan on learning to fly soon and that looks like something that would totally rule to fly my friends to the beach for a day. The Hatteras lighthouse in NC has a tiny airport about a quarter mile away and I cannot wait to get my pilot license and fly down there for a day trip. The surfing in the area is not terrible by east coast standards either.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:35 AM

I went there last time me and my friends drove up to San Jose. At that time (about a year ago) it was the best prime rib I had at that time. We went around 10 PM because they said they were way too crowded before that point. I must say this was a pleasant experience and definitely worth the detour (not that big of a detour)

A catching point people say about Harris Ranch is that when President Reagan was still an actor and the governor of California he would fly there to eat, hence the airstrip.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:06 AM

sweet...just made 10 harris ranch prime ribeyes for my friends on sunday.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:47 AM

have you ever flown in a small plane like that before?
IMO you have balls of steel to get into that thing... I don't care what the statistics say.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:05 AM

Haha, my friend actually flew me down there a few weeks ago, in a four-seater Cessna. Fun trip.

I had the ribeye with a baked sweet potato - very very good stuff.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:09 AM

john,

I had never flown in a plane that small before. I was a little scared about going up in it. I was sorta scared during takeoff, and especially as we climbed from about 2000 to 3000 feet, where it was pretty bumpy (bumpier than normal apparently). Once we reached our cruising altitude of 5500, it was quite nice and smooth. When we were doing the banks to start our approach and then slowing down during our descent, that was pretty f'ing terrifying. Oh, Harris Ranch is an especially narrow runway, so he actually did one pass and decided he was coming in too fast and pulled out of it to give it another shot. Surprisingly, that whole process wasn't very scary and actually sorta cool. Apparently there were some very high flying birds that really scared the pilot towards the end of the trip, but luckily I was asleep at that point.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
john,

I had never flown in a plane that small before. I was a little scared about going up in it. I was sorta scared during takeoff, and especially as we climbed from about 2000 to 3000 feet, where it was pretty bumpy (bumpier than normal apparently). Once we reached our cruising altitude of 5500, it was quite nice and smooth. When we were doing the banks to start our approach and then slowing down during our descent, that was pretty f'ing terrifying. Oh, Harris Ranch is an especially narrow runway, so he actually did one pass and decided he was coming in too fast and pulled out of it to give it another shot. Surprisingly, that whole process wasn't very scary and actually sorta cool. Apparently there were some very high flying birds that really scared the pilot towards the end of the trip, but luckily I was asleep at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. i am definitely never getting on an airplane that can't withstand the impact of a bird.

this reminds me of ron white's hilarious bit about getting passed by a goose in a plane "the size of a pack of gum" traveling "half the speed of smell" on his 12 minute flight to phoenix from the flagstaff "airport, haircare & tire center" lol
Old 03-13-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you're not eating at a Denny's or the McDonalds at the Kettleman City cutoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is an In'n'Out at the Kettleman City cutoff. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]