Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 03-02-2007, 11:52 PM

Default Re: The Well: curtains 3/2/07

[ QUOTE ]
How much does chess pay? Was it realistic for you to make a lifelong income playing chess? Where do all the chess pros go?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not realistic for me to make a lifelong income PLAYING chess. I wasn't quite good enough nor do I was going to be good enough to make it worth my while.

It's definitely realistic to make a decent wage from teaching chess. This is what I did when I was first starting to play poker. It helped me early in my career when I wasn't yet ready to rely on poker as my sole source of income.

Not sure what you mean about where all the chess pros go. Most American pros end up doing something else because in America there are just so many oppurtunities to make a good living, and making one at chess is a real struggle. You have to be very very good to make a living from only playing the game. Almost every pro earns some or even most of their income from teaching chess.

what is the biggest leak that people who are no longer able to beat sngs have? what was your biggest leak when you first switched to cash?

How has your chess background helped your poker game?

Do you study both games with the same intensity or is poker easier in your opinion?

Thanks for taking the time. I have been a big fan of yours and remember watching your games online that were played I think on Tuesday nights at the NY masters. I think it was the Marshal chess club. Its been a while thats for sure.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for doing this. I have two...

1. Overall number of 109, 215, and 530 SNGs at party and ROI at each??

2. I remember reading you were a Sixers fan. Are you rooting for losses for a higher chance at Oden/Durant??

[/ QUOTE ]

1. This is a tough one, I'm going to have to comb through my records but I will do it for you...ok here is the best info I could find, which includes my entire PartyPoker finish distribution. It amounted to a 13.5% ROI after 5489 PartyPoker tournaments. I think about 60-65% of them were from the $215 level and the rest from the $109 level. I almost never played above $215 because I try to avoid major variance:

1st 696 12.7%
2nd 607 11.1%
3rd 697 12.7%
4th 673 12.3%
5th 706 12.9%
6th 710 12.9%
7th 589 10.7%
8th 444 8.1%
9th 243 4.4%
10th 124 2.3%

Below are my lifetime stats for Pokerstars, although doesn't count one small session (the first SnGs I played in months) that I played a few weeks ago where I lost a few hundred at the $114s. Again I exclude my small $530 sample size, but I believe I was actually an overall winner in the 20 or so bigger SnGs I played on Party+Stars:

Stars $225 Turbos
Tourneys Played: 323
Total Profit: $90
ROI: 0.1%

Stars $114 Turbos
Tourneys Played: 553
Total Profit: $6510
ROI: 10.3%

Stars $60 Turbos
Tourneys Played: 354
Total Profit: $3906
ROI: 18.1%

Total Results:
Tourneys Played: 1231
Profit: $12,313
ROI: 7.8%
Old 03-03-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2. I remember reading you were a Sixers fan. Are you rooting for losses for a higher chance at Oden/Durant??

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't find it appropriate to root against your team and I wish league's could come up with a better system that would discourage teams from finding reasons to root against their own team, because the phenomena cannot be good for the overall benefit of the league. Also I am a season ticket holder and it's really not interesting to go to a game and root against your team.

In any case it's very difficult to come up with a proper system that avoids the whole "rooting against your team" aspect. The lottery does a reasonable job of making the phenomena less severe, but not quite enough to discourage fans from this practice.

If anyone has any ideas/solutions to this problem feel free to post them.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. What was the biggest weakness/barrier/roadblock in your development as a poker player you had to overcome? How did you do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough question. It's possible I haven't overcome it yet, but I assume you want to know about the past.

It's really difficult I don't know. One day I was making a pretty good living playing poker, and soon thereafter I was making what I felt was a ridiculous living playing poker. In some sense I get lucky with SNGPT and focusing on playing SNGs in an extremely mathematical way. I think I did this very well before anyone else did, so I was just lucky that I was ahead of the curve by about 6-12 months?

I dunno, nothing really stands out, but my decision to focus on sit and go's was a major boon to me. I was doing well at ring games, but never incredibly well. I believe my overall style is still similar to how it was back then, with a few important refinements here and there that I have a hard time articulating.

I remember looking at some old SnGs I played before I took them seriously (but still felt that I was good) and felt some hideously dreadful mistakes, like not pushing Qx in a spot where K+S charts said it was definitely correct.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:11 AM

!controversy!

are you planning on shortstacking cash games in the future?

how profitable do you find it to be compared to buying in for max?
Old 03-03-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Best sandwich in Philly?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know I like a lot of cheesesteaks. I have a hard time saying that one is clearly better than all the others. There are many different styles of cheesesteak that have their merits.

In Philly there are just so many good ones, it's ridiculous to think that you have to go to one of the famous places like Pats or Genos. I feel like you can get a similar if not better cheesesteak at most random pizza places in the city or even at a random street vendor. This isn't nearly the case in almost every other US city.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2a. Would you rather have Oden or Durant?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oden definitely. If we get Durant you know all the spotlight is going to be on him. I'm sick and tired of those kinds of players. I want a guy like Oden who doesn't need the ball to be a star. He is a lock not only to be a great player, but also to make the rest of the team better and happier.

If we get Durant, the value of Iguodala goes way down. If we get Oden, his value goes way up IMO. The Spurs are the perfect example, when you see how a guy like Duncan makes everyone around him better.

In any case I definitely won't be crying if we get Durant, as I think he has the potential to lead teams to the championship. I just think that Oden is every team's dream player.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:19 AM

A while back you wrote some SnG articles. A couple in particular I remember were about playing AK. The site they were hosted on seems to have gone down. Are these articles available anywhere else?