Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Lottery Genius

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/20/magazine...7022807?cnn=yes

"How did you develop your system?

How to choose my lottery numbers started through a trial and error process. I just started playing number games with myself about how to capture the most diverse numbers. Then I looked at the most recent Powerball numbers over the last six months and took the set of 15 numbers that were most commonly coming up. My Powerball numbers were going to be those 15. So I starting messing around with it, and my number games got a little more complex and a little bigger. I was starting to win smaller amounts like $150 and $500."

This man figured out the lottery and will be a billionaire in 12 years. Why is he wasting his time with this investment [censored] and not just purchasing more lottery tickets using his tried and true number system?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Lottery Genius

the bigger question is....why the #&!^*! is this in the news
Old 03-01-2007, 05:50 PM

So far my favorite part is he dropped $12K on a bicycle and $14K on a used Jetta.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:51 PM

Wow. A financial Adviser that is stupid enough to think his method works, is very scary.

There are only 2 systems that "work" in lotteries:

1. Buying out all combinations when the pot justifies
2. Staying away from "calendar numbers," to control the only thing you can sorta control... which is picking combinations which other people are more likely to pick. Since each combination is equally likely, avoiding calendar numbers actually is +EV.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:52 PM

I've seen other people say this before and it confuses me. Could someone please explain to me the basics of numerology and how it can be used to increase EV in a came where numbers are selected at random.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen other people say this before and it confuses me. Could someone please explain to me the basics of numerology and how it can be used to increase EV in a came where numbers are selected at random.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure...

Put simply, what is better, being the sole winner or being a winner with multiple people?

Since people have a tendency to pick numbers based on birthdays and dates, and since all combinations are equally likely to occur, it is +EV to stay away from calendar numbers.

What the guy in the article proposed is shear lunacy.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
the odds of you winning the jackpot are still the same, but you can decrease your chances of having to share it with someone who picked the exact same numbers. lots of people like to pick their lotto numbers based off of their birthdays or anniversary date or whatever. so if whenever possible you pick numbers > 31 it's slightly less likely that you will have to share a jackpot.

of course, the odds of you winning at all are still roughly a couple million to one.

edit: yeah i'm slow, what of it?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:56 PM

picking calendar number increases EV but is really just less negative value. if you figure in taxes and lumpsum penalties, it is never +ev to buy any lottery ticket. there was a post a while back about the odds and value of lottery tickets.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:00 PM

That makes sense. Using the term numerology makes it seem like they do something more complicated.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What the guy in the article proposed is shear lunacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

loony like a fox.