Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Trading Tax Question

Ok about 10 years ago a friend started investing in the stock market. He used some cash which had not been taxed. He has made quite a bit from this initial deposit, but now due to back tax and penalty fees if he brings it back to New Zealand he will lose almost 90% of his winnings. So my question is are there any international loop holes or such that would allow him to have access to this money in New Zealand? There will be a sizeable reward to anyone that comes up with a reasonable solution.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Trading Tax Question

You're asking for an international tax evasion strategy? I'm not sure anyone here will be willing to help your "friend."
Old 09-21-2007, 02:24 AM

I wasn't really asking how to evade tax totally, quite happy to pay a normal tax rate just not the penaltys.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok about 10 years ago a friend started investing in the stock market. He used some cash which had not been taxed. He has made quite a bit from this initial deposit, but now due to back tax and penalty fees if he brings it back to New Zealand he will lose almost 90% of his winnings. So my question is are there any international loop holes or such that would allow him to have access to this money in New Zealand? There will be a sizeable reward to anyone that comes up with a reasonable solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has your friend consulted a tax lawyer agbou this? Thats the first thing that I'd try. I know nothing about New Zealand, but in the U.S., the IRS will try to get away with all kinds of stuff and interpret the IRC in all kinds of crazy ways. In fact, sometimes they'll even make up new taxes. Maybe he could start there, and maybe get several legal opinons, too, as in my experience, lawyers often exaggerate their expertise. Make sure its a tax lawyer that specializes/has experience with the specific issue, and make sure that the lawyer has experience fighting the New Zealand IRS-equivalent.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, sometimes they'll even make up new taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact? Sure would like to see a couple of examples of these "new taxes" the IRS has created from thin air.

They may interpret the current tax code a bit differently than either the taxpayer or perhaps eventually a tax court but I've never heard of any new taxes created by the imagination of some enterprising overzealous auditor.

In the USA the IRS will negotiate penalties and interest quite easily but hold fairly firm on the original tax debt.

Jimbo
Old 09-21-2007, 05:59 PM

Did you steal my avatar and make the background yellow?!?!?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:40 AM

lol no I found this on an avatar site, had never seen yours. On a previous forum I was a part of I had a similar one of willy which looked way better but I cant find it again :'(
Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Has your friend consulted a tax lawyer agbou this? Thats the first thing that I'd try. I know nothing about New Zealand, but in the U.S., the IRS will try to get away with all kinds of stuff and interpret the IRC in all kinds of crazy ways. In fact, sometimes they'll even make up new taxes. Maybe he could start there, and maybe get several legal opinons, too, as in my experience, lawyers often exaggerate their expertise. Make sure its a tax lawyer that specializes/has experience with the specific issue, and make sure that the lawyer has experience fighting the New Zealand IRS-equivalent.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are [censored] stupid.