Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 06:12 AM

Default Vegas trip to the National Handicappers Championship: long

Vegas…NHC tourney

For more on this tourney: http://www.drf.com/nhc/2005/nhc.html

Note: Some words are compound words but my WP seems to want to separate them. Just an FYI.

So my brother won a trip to Vegas to compete in the National (horse)Handicapping Championship. He had to beat out about 390 people at his home track(Emerald Downs: ED) to qualify. Of the 400 person field, 200 had to be picked lottery style to compete. This is how he got in. He finished 2nd and won the paid trip to compete. If he’d have won here, he’d have gotten $10k plus the trip. ED sent 9 people. The most of any track. People were flying in all over to qualify. One guy flew in from Jersey. He had already qualified at some track near there however, ED had an added bonus if you qualified there so he tried for the possible parlay and got it. Word is if you qualified this way, you vacate your previous qualifying spot and it is filled in by the next possible qualifier. Other tracks you had to buy your way into the qualifying tourneys. The one just before the final cost $250 to enter, then you play with $750 of your real money.

The top prize was already about $225k to the winner, but ED would add on about $275k if you won representing their track. Churchill Downs was the other ‘bonus’ track giving their players, if they won, either $400k lump sum or $1 million spread out over 20 years. Daily prizes were awarded for the top 3 handicappers. 1st day was $5, 3 and 2k. 2nd day was $10, 6 and 4k. Along with best 3 man team(predetermined) over the 2 days that split $15k. So, as you can see, big money is involved here.

Anyways, he asked if I’d go down with him. He’s never been to Vegas. Arriving there, he is stoked, big time. We’re staying at Bally’s and get our room. He also runs into the ED director who gives him a ‘team ED’ shirt and reimburses us for the cab ride. Wow, didn’t expect that. View is pretty good from the 22nd. Good sized room. He just kept singing Viva Las Vegas. You could see in his face he was getting sensory overload. It was too cool to watch.

After we get our room, we head out to get his credentials. Long line, moving kinda slow. It was a milestone just to see the door in sight that he had to go into. Camera crews come out with an announcer. ESPN2. They go to some people directly behind us and do a brief interview. One lady said she only entered to do it with her husband. She qualified, he didn’t. Jokes were made good naturedly as you can imagine. Watching her get interviewed you could see that ‘holy [censored]’ look in her eyes as she was looking to her hubby for support. More on her later. The then interview the person right behind us, then skip us and go to the person just ahead of us. My brother looked kinda nervous when they were right behind. After that they disappeared for a bit. Line leaves a little snail trail as we move up about 5 feet. Camera crews come back out and pick my brother out. He seems to just about [censored] a brick at this point. But pulls it off pretty well given everything happening to him. I stepped back and took a seat on a nearby bench so he can have his moment. However, he tries to introduce me as his tour guide and turns to where I’m not standing anymore. He said that made him even more nervous for a bit. Haha.

Finally we get to the front. He has to go check in alone as I’m not allowed inside the ‘private area’. Gets his badge, a tourney shirt, 3 racing forms for the next day, picture taken, then another small interview. He comes out with a nice looking bag. I thought it was someone from the crews bag at first. Inside he finds a book on tourney HC, a video game of the Breeders cup(right up his alley), food coupons and some other stuff. He also picked up a paper like program of the event that has profiles of the competitors. Lo and behold, his picture is pretty much front and center. Did I mention that he was jacked up? He looked like he’d already won after seeing all this stuff along with the trip alone. To me, this is what this type of thing is all about. Imo, he’d have quite the story should he pull this off and win. Hell, even if he makes the top money bracket.

He studies a bit, calls his buds back at ED and lets them know what races he has to pick (explain later) then we head out for a walk. First walk was the ritual, go to walgreens and get a 15 pack of bottled water. That out of the way, I decide to take him to one end of the strip for dinner at Burger Bar(Mandalay Bay). These burgers kick ass. And yes, there is a burger on the menu for $60. So we chomp down there and decide to walk around a bit. I show him the Luxor while also picking up a ½ yard of Margarita for the trip. It’s great how that affects you. Especially after having a glass of scotch with the burger. Then we go through Excalibur on our way to the MGM. We get kinda turned around in there and end up on the ass end of it extending our walk about ½ mile to get back around it. His legs are getting kinda tired as he’s giving me [censored] about being the drunk tour guide. Hey, I was having fun!

Next day: God my head hurts. Alarm goes off and I feel a headache creep in. Like a bat slowly touching you but having the result of a full impact. Lots of water and I fall back asleep. After fighting off a couple more typical hangover incidents throughout the morning, Marty comes back after about his 3rd race. Pacing back and forth excitedly, telling me how he screwed up and jumped off a horse that ended up coming in, but ‘oh my god’ he’s in Vegas, got another minor interview again, lights in his face, AAHHHHH! Did I mention he was jacked up for this?

Here’s how it works:

Using fictional money, you place bets, $2 to win and $2 to place on one horse. Losses don’t count against your total. Odds on horses cap at 20-1. This is so if you’re losing during it you can’t hit a miracle 40-1 shot and streak up the standings. So if you picked that horse, you’d only get the 20-1. The one with the highest total at the end wins. Tourney pays out to the top 20. Each day you have 7 mandatory races that everyone has to pick from, then you pick 8 more races from ‘selected available’ tracks picked by the tourney. So, total of 30 races over 2 days.

Back to the story. I ask him if the races are that much tougher to pick than normal. “Good god!” He says exasperated. “Look at this race. 14 horses, none of them have finished higher than 5th. I don’t know the track, jockeys or the trainers at all. Then you finally zero one and he gets scratched… ” End of his first day, he’s about middle of the pack with $60 on the board.

I had made a reservation to take him to Bally’s Steakhouse. Then upon finally making it down and seeing the last few races he tells me that ED is taking us to dinner. Cancel the reservation. Italian place just across the street from the sports book. I suck down a margarita in honor of my roommate back home as it’s Friday and ‘margarita-time!’ The bar screws up my brothers drink as the bargal never heard of a Mac and Jack before. He tells her and she thinks he’s saying Macallan’s when he’s saying McNaughtons. He’s not a big scotch fan. Meanwhile, some gal at the bar(not a hooker) is trying to get him into a scotch conversation after hearing him mention to me how he doesn’t care if it’s Macallan’s, he hates scotch. Not much came of that. Probably could’ve as he seemed pretty interested in him. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Dinner was great. We were both kinda tired. My eyes take awhile to adjust down there. They tend to feel swelled and dry which also feels tired. He goes off to study as he‘s got 3 more forms to look at on limited time. I’m actually feeling very clear headed and decided to venture out a bit and maybe play some cards. J

I find my way to Caesars. They don’t seem too much in a hurry to greet me much less ask if I need anything. Not a bad room, but I’ll pass. I head to the Mirage. Ask the chick if she has any 10-20 openings, she says yes and walks away. Ok. About 7 minutes later she finally gets back around and I tell her to put me on the list. I really held back acting as if I’m putting my bandages back on so I can then be visible again. Yes, it was that bad at first. Anyways, I get on a fantastic table and proceed to fold for 2hrs 15mins. Great. Yet another losing session in Vegas, I’m thinking. One miserable idiot (Steve) tosses his cards at the dealer, she warns him that that’s the first time. He makes a little production out of it asking her what she’s going to do about it and showing his hands saying sarcastically to look, does he look like he’s shaking? Basically vying for prick of the year. He takes a walk and comes back at the next dealer. I start hitting a hand or 2. 1st hand I win, no one seems to want it so I take it down bluff-style with my ten high. Then I hit a nut str8 on the turn and checkraise prick man and win without showing. He makes some snide comment about what my hand might’ve been. Then he looks over my way to see me looking right at him grinning. He just kinda looks like he got caught doing something as I smile and give him a ‘ya like that?“ nod. He moves to my left and I proceed to jam a nut flush down his throat. HEY! I GOT SOME SUGAR! WOO HOO! 2 hands later, I rack and leave as it was an open board and others seemed to be getting skittish. Steve tells me to have a good one with a hint of resentment. 1st session I won at Vegas. Not much, but it’s nice to know it’s possible. Dammit. LOL

Next day: After cashing a sports ticket at the Palms for Marty, I head back to watch the final few races. Marty’s hit some good ones, but by this time, is pretty much out of it. He jumped off a horse that his bud back home handicapped which would’ve boosted his score. If he had stayed with 3 of his picks and not changed them, he could’ve placed around 12th. He’s a great handicapper, however, he does have a problem when it comes to following through at the betting window. He’s notorious for it. Sometimes, buds will go to the track with him and bet his initial picks and do pretty well, while he’s already changed his mind at the window and loses a few. He’s also found out he can actually bet with money during this tourney. I can’t go where he’s sitting, so he spots me and comes out to watch the race on tv. He says he put the most he’s ever put on a horse in this race, but ‘screw it, he’s in Vegas,’ he says with a grin. His bet is to win and place. I’m watching and saying it looks like his horse is being caught. He nonchalantly and matter of factly says the horse won’t make it and his will pull away again. Sure enough, it happens and he’s about $100 richer.

The place is wild. Much wilder than what I’ve seen at other tracks. 4 people behind me screeching for number 5. “C’mon 5! 5! Go 5!” Then a gasp. Then 4 people screaming, ‘Where’d that [censored] 1 horse come from!?! Godammit!’ It was too funny. Down to the last race and it’s close. Remember the gal behind us in line who qualified but her hubby didn’t? She’s in 1st place at this point. ESPN2 cameras are all over her. Following her everywhere.

The final race my brother picks a ‘bomb’. 14-1. Prior to this, he goes and congratulates the gal on a great tourney. He also decides to put some cash on this race. Said he’d hate to see it come in and get nothing for it. It ends up going off at 17-1. My brother figured it should at least get 2nd as the frontrunner probably won’t be caught. Coming down the stretch, his horse is gaining. People are going absolutely nuts. The horse catches the leader and passes it just enough to win by a head. By how loud Marty got, you’d think he’d won the tourney. I thought he was going to do a backflip. He wasn’t the only one to pick that horse. 4 other key people had picked it and passed that gal leading knocking her to 5th place. From $225k to $15k. She misses $25k by 30 cents. Whatta finish. Upon the end of that race, the cameras are instantly off her and to the winner like she’s definitely only last hours news. Overall, my brother ended up 64th out of 226. Pretty damn good for his first time along with all the distractions. The guy who won is from New York or something and has been a newspaper handicapper for about 40 years. One thing Marty can take away from this is, he beat all the ED people overall including the qualifying. I told him that’s step one that he can check off. Consistency. But then everyone who knows him knows that he knows horses. But it was nice to know that he was in with some top guys, and kept up with them for the most part.

Afterwards we had some time to kill before the banquet so we head to caesars so I can show him the living statue show. Nice little walk. The banquet dinner was real nice. 3 course meal with an open bar (free drinks [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) Nice speeches and all. It ends too late for us to see the pirate battle at Treasure Island. I had gotten ahold of Ed M to meet up at Bellagio. I had told him I knew it was short notice so it was perfectly fine if he couldn’t make it, but he seemed game. So we head over. After a bit, I spy Ed standing at the front of the pokerroom. I walk up to him and say hi. Now, Ed hasn’t seen me in about 1.5, maybe 2 years so I’m not sure if he’s recognizing me when I first approach him. Last he saw me I had my long bleached blonde hair and all. Some recognize me, others it takes them abit. Ed, I’m not sure of at this point. We end up yapping a bit. I congratulate him on his monster year he had with everything going his way. Here’s the thing about Ed: He’s so down to earth and easy to talk to. Just like he was 2 years ago. His success doesn’t seem to have affected him at all. Basically, he’s the same guy but with longer hair. He mentions that he was waiting or Dave. I ask which one, whether it’s clarkmeister or Dynasty and he looks at me kinda weird. Then informs me that it’s Sklansky. Oh, ok. Now it starts to get a little surreal. After a bit, he tells me, ‘Here comes Mason.’ You know the feeling when you’ve read about something, or have interacted with people online but then you’re there live and it reality kind of jumps at you? That’s kind of what was happening to me at this point. So I turn to see Mason walking in, sporting his 2+2 shirt. First thought is how some on the forum would crucify anyone for even mentioning their lil’ club. He’s much taller than I expected. Ed introduces me to him, he shakes my hand then tells Ed when he has time, he wanted to yap about something then goes into the room. Eventually, he makes it back out and we start yapping a bit. I’m not used to getting this type of conversation back home other than from some select people I know around there(Slavic, bobbyi). But they haven’t been around in awhile, so. Usually it’s some wannabe telling me about his latest superstitious plays and all. So it was refreshing to be yapping again with 2 guys that I know kick ass on the table. At first, Mason seemed a little stand offish. Not in a bad way, just kind of a cautious way. Eventually I introduced my brother to him and told him that story. Mason made the mention with a smile that maybe he might have to start exploring horseracing. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But my impression of him was he’s very personable and fun to talk to. I wish I could’ve stayed later, but my brother was getting kind of tired so I decided to leave. Saying my good byes, I told Ed hopefully it won’t be another 2 years next time. As we got lost in the Bellagio, I explained to Marty just who we were talking to in regards to the poker world. That those were 2 top thinkers/writers of the game. He thought that was kinda cool.

Afterwards we go back to Bally’s and play some vid poker and stuff. Relaxing a bit. Walk around the Paris. Watch the hookers a bit. Normal stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] One thing I think I’ve finally concluded is, I’m not really much into playing the pit games or anything. It’s just not that fun to me. I find myself literally forcing myself to play them. But I know too much the end result of it so in the back of my mind it just seems pointless. I’d much rather just people watch and check out stuff or just get something more for my money. I do actually have a little fun watching others play a bit. Watching their excitement and such. But as far as me doing it, well, I may be a little jaded. Probably a drawback from learning the ins and outs of gambing games.

Next day we have a great breakfast at Bally’s. Tons better than the Flamingo’s breakfast place. Then take a walk through the Alladin. I’ve never been in there. Interesting place. All in a circle, but at least it was unique in it’s own little way. Marty ends up getting into it a bit with a guy in a sports memorabilia store. This is kind of built up from the fact no one there seems to care about the Seahawks. Even the ‘NFL Championship’ merchandise truck outside Bally’s didn’t have any Seahawk stuff. 3 Steeler shirts, a coat and various other stuff. The closest you got to anything Seattle was something that said AFC vs. NFC. No logos. It was kinda funny to listen to. But really, it’s like no one ever heard of them. Reminds me so much of the press before the USC and er, that other team going for the national championship.

We check out of our hotel, make the airport and sleep a bit on the plane back. Marty keeps saying adamantly that ‘He WILL be back. And he WILL be in that tourney again.’ I hope so. Cause I haven’t seen him that stoked, or having that much of a good time in far too long.

b
Old 02-01-2006, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Vegas trip to the National Handicappers Championship: long

Great post. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:32 PM

Really great post, bernie. Interesting stuff.

Does your brother have a job other than handicapping? I wanted to learn the game a bit and bought two of Beyer's books, as well as a Davidowitz book, and it just seemed to time-consuming to seriously cap.

Although I did learn that pretty much everything I had ever been told about picking horses was totally wrong.

-McGee
Old 02-01-2006, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really great post, bernie. Interesting stuff.

Does your brother have a job other than handicapping? I wanted to learn the game a bit and bought two of Beyer's books, as well as a Davidowitz book, and it just seemed to time-consuming to seriously cap.

Although I did learn that pretty much everything I had ever been told about picking horses was totally wrong.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he works. He doesn't have the cash to do it full time. He still would have to get over that 'changing his bet at the window' thing. Then there'd be the money management angle.

He's a small time bettor who just happens to have followed horses for about 20+ years. He's the king of the $2 win place bet.lol Though I think he did have a book or 2 long ago that taught him a bit. I think my other brother also read it. He was a decent handicapper but has since not really been that much into it. I bought Marty one last year that looked kinda cool. Told me it gave him some interesting ideas. Can't remember what the name of it was though. He's also gotten into studying horse mannerisms a little bit. A buddy of mine who works with horses found some interesting stuff on that and gave it to him to use. My family has a little history with horseracing as my great grandad used to race Pacers and Trotters and such. So in a way, Marty's kinda carrying on a tradition of being around it.

It's like anything really. It looks alot more intricate now than it would after you've been doing it for awhile. You need a good sized roll to really do it as sole income. I'm thinking that it might be more volatile than poker. But I haven't really looked into that much.

b
Old 02-02-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You need a good sized roll to really do it as sole income. I'm thinking that it might be more volatile than poker

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that this is most certainly true.

The impression I got is that it's very hard to beat the game without devoting a pretty serious amount of time to it. And it's not like poker, where you can read and play at your leisure. You need to keep up with it every day.

-McGee
Old 02-02-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You need a good sized roll to really do it as sole income. I'm thinking that it might be more volatile than poker

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that this is most certainly true.

The impression I got is that it's very hard to beat the game without devoting a pretty serious amount of time to it. And it's not like poker, where you can read and play at your leisure. You need to keep up with it every day.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I have no idea the variance involved in it. It IS something I've always wanted to check out though.

[ QUOTE ]
And it's not like poker, where you can read and play at your leisure. You need to keep up with it every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. If you play poker professionally, you're pretty much doing it every day. Alot of horseracing is just converting stats in the form to numbers. I think it's feasible to take a racing form, handicap it the night before, then put all your picks in(after adjustment for track condition for the day) prior to the first race so you can then go off and enjoy the rest of the day. Note that I said 'feasible', not optimal.

b
Old 02-02-2006, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know. If you play poker professionally, you're pretty much doing it every day. Alot of horseracing is just converting stats in the form to numbers. I think it's feasible to take a racing form, handicap it the night before, then put all your picks in(after adjustment for track condition for the day) prior to the first race so you can then go off and enjoy the rest of the day. Note that I said 'feasible', not optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that it's very difficult to cap a day of racing without having intimate knowledge of the days that preceded it. The form will tell you how a horse fared in a certain race, but it only gives the win, place, and show horses for those past races. If you don't have the chart for that race, then you won't know what happened during the race that might've influenced the outcome. Speed figures help some, but there are plenty of scenarios in which a speed figure won't tell the whole story of a race.

This is getting me interested in studying this stuff again. If only I had time...

If you do end up talking to your brother about it, let me know. I'm interested in a lot of the stuff we're discussing. Maybe some horseplayers (surely there are at least a couple on this board) will see this thread and chime in eventually.

-McGee
Old 02-02-2006, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My understanding is that it's very difficult to cap a day of racing without having intimate knowledge of the days that preceded it. The form will tell you how a horse fared in a certain race, but it only gives the win, place, and show horses for those past races. If you don't have the chart for that race, then you won't know what happened during the race that might've influenced the outcome. Speed figures help some, but there are plenty of scenarios in which a speed figure won't tell the whole story of a race.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. Though I thought the form did give a little about how the horse in the race went. Like whether it got boxed or bumped, but I'm not sure. However, with enough races in it's past, one might be able to narrow it down a bit. I know one thing he factors is whether the horse is moving up or down in class.

[ QUOTE ]
If you do end up talking to your brother about it, let me know. I'm interested in a lot of the stuff we're discussing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd be great if he had a computer and was online. He can talk horses forever. Sometimes to the point where you want to put a 'bit' in his mouth. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

b
Old 02-02-2006, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe some horseplayers (surely there are at least a couple on this board) will see this thread and chime in eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would've thought so too.

I thought Clarkmeister was into horses. Though I'm not sure if he's into betting them as much.

b
Old 02-02-2006, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very true. Though I thought the form did give a little about how the horse in the race went. Like whether it got boxed or bumped, but I'm not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, this is true, you're right. I had forgotten that.

[ QUOTE ]
He can talk horses forever

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's ever in D.C. and wants someone to listen and ask questions (I don't think I'd have anything to contribute), tell him to look me up.

-McGee