Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Heisenb3rgs Blind Defense Quiz

***EDIT ADDED A NEW QUESTION***

I was playing a hand today that made me think about some subtelties of handling different player profiles on certain boards.

I conconcted a hand which I think touches on some useful hand reading concepts and am curious how the 2+2 community answers them.

I think these answers are clear, but there may be a few things I havent considered. The last question is probabily the most ambiguous.
Please answer the questions before you read anyone elses responses. Please explain why you chose what you chose.

Assume your image is of a 27/18/2.4 TAG that doesn’t get out of line very often... But is capable of doing so.

Player profiles you are up against

a) a semi weak tight-nit 21/14/1.8 that doesnt get out of line, but is capable of bluffing occasionally. Uncreative and predictable.

b) a semi passive player 50/15/0.8 who shows down fairly light and peels any 2 cards on the flop.

c) a super LAGTARD 70/50/3.5 that plays completly unpredictable and extremly agressive. Unbeliveably random call downs with 5 high, capping the turn with nothing randomly.. Slowplaying at weird times.

d) An incredibly talented LAGTAG that strikes fear into your soul.. You had a nightmare about him last night because hes that damn good. 32/21/2.8

Questions

You are in the BB with T9s and are raised by the SB.
Who would you be most inclined to re-raise and why?

Assume you just call:

Flop is QJ4 with a flush draw
SB bets, you raise, SB calls

Turn is a J
Sb checks, you bet, SB calls

River is a 4 (flush draw not completed)
SB checks..

Out of the players in question 1, who do you have the most profitable bet against? Second most? What are all the players likely ranges right now?

Assume the same situation as the last hand
But the river is a Q

All of a sudden SB unsuspectedly bets...

Who are you ahead of the most right now? Who has you beat the most right now? Who should you be most inclined to raise against?

Assume river is a Q but your hand is now J5s

Which player profiles should you raise against? Which should you call? Which should you fold?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Heisenb3rgs Blind Defense Quiz

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only one I'd consider 3-betting this against is the nit because if I have control he might fold out a better hand. He probably loosens up here as well because he knows he's supposed to steal blinds. He probably still plays weak tight post-flop though. Against the other players I have a hand with no showdown value and they will make it difficult for me to bluff.

[ QUOTE ]

Assume you just call:

Turn is a J

SB checks..

Out of the players in question 1, who would you be most inclined to bet against? Second most?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go with the super LAGTARD on this one, who is hoping his 9 high is good.

I guess I'll go with the nit for my second choice. He's the only one I could see folding A or K high on this board.

[ QUOTE ]

But the river is a Q

Who are you ahead of the most right now? Who has you beat the most right now? Who should you be most inclined to raise against?

[/ QUOTE ]

The passive player is most likely to have us beat now. He probably had top pair the whole way, but was afraid we had a better one. Now that he hits the best hand he bets out. This line could also be taken by the good LAGTAG. He was getting ready to hit us on the turn, but then a bad card came so he waited. Now he bets out so that you don't check through A high. I would be most inclined to raise against the LAGTARD because he probably thinks this is a good bluffing card even though none of his previous actions suggest he has it.

[ QUOTE ]

Which player profiles should you raise against? Which should you call? Which should you fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how having the J changes much here. The passive player still has us beat and it's probably a fold, but call during the hand. Against the nit I will call because he might bluff. Against the super LAGTARD I'm raising. Against the LAGTAG this spot sucks and it's probably closer to fold than anything.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks that LAGTAGs don't get tricky in this spot. Put yourself in the shoes of the LAGTAG and you're against a player like Heisenb3rg. Are you really going to bet that river without a Q hoping you can level him?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:38 PM

with a very skilled lagtag on my right I would usually switch tables. he is going to be shutting me out of the pot a lot preflop

I would be most likely to reraise the LAGTAG. he is likely opening a very wide range and it will be easier to play vs him with the initiative.

I think a lot of people are going to say reraise the nit here, but his range is tight and it is going to be pretty easy to play vs him postflop

I'll do the ranges first,
nit: 9Q TQ maybe KQ, 55-TT, TK AK AT, FD with hands like AXss KXss
passive: Ax, any pair, any flush or straight draw
lagtard: Ax Kx, 22-TT, sometimes Qx Jx, any flush or straight draw (discounted because I expect him to go nuts with them sometimes)
lagtag: Ax, 22-TT, AK AT, KT 9T and flush draws (discounted).

I'd bet vs everyone because there are so many busted draws that beat us. in terms of how easy the bet is,
nit > LAGTAG > passive > maniac

edit: now that I think about it, I don't think we should bet vs the maniac. I don't think he's ever folding a better hand

3. the passive guy definitely has us beat the most, followed by the nit.

I think we beat the LAGTAG the most and should raise him. he isn't representing a strong hand and is smart enough to know that we have a lot of busted draws. I can see him betting with a counterfeited hand

tempting to raise the maniac too but I think he's much more likely to be b/c something like Kx or Ax

raise the LAGTAG and the maniac. call vs the passive guy. I wouldn't fold vs anyone, but it would be closest to a fold vs the nit
Old 09-24-2007, 03:46 PM

Nice post. I'll take a shot.

1. Hmmm.. first question and I've already changed my mind 3 times. I wanted to say C, then B, but now I've settled on A. C you could probably show a profit raising given your hand value and position, but he'll put you in some tough spots and your hand has little to no showdown value. You'll most likely end up making desperate river bluffs on missed draws in hopes he'll fold his K high, but he won't.

B I think you could be all right. Really depends on his SB stealing standards. Lots of these types aren't too creative from the SB.

I settled on A because he's got reasonable enough stats and probably knows the value of stealing. So his range is fairly wide. 3betting accomplishes two things. Your hand is likely a winner versus his range given your position, and it puts him on the defensive. Protecting your future blinds is a good thing.

Note, I'm pretty sure I'm a bigger fan of calling and popping most flops instead of 3betting.

2. B, C, A, D, respectively. B can get to the river with lots of hands that include bad draws and weak overs. He probably only calls with pairs and A-high.

Against C, you'd be making a "value bluff". There's a decent chance he's on a weak draw given his weak turn action. Depending on my exact read I'd be checking a lot, though. Lots of these guys love c/r'ing this kind of card, forcing you to fold or 3bet. Most the hands you'd lose to he calls with anyway, and I bet he calls a fair amount of chopping hands. So just live with the chop.

Sorry, don't currently have time to go through all the ranges. You're spewing big time if you fire again versus D or A, though.

3. You're ahead of C the most and maybe D getting tricky. Raising is a disaster, I think. C is probably you're only profitable call.

4. Never fold. Raise everybody except B, I think. Fold if A or D 3bets (D might be a call depending on the read/past battles). Call or maybe even cap if C 3bets.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:09 PM

#1 A,D,B,C. While the lagtag's range is wider, he'll make more correct call downs and put more pressure on your postflop. By 3 betting A, you induce him to make more FTOP mistakes postflop. vs B and C, fold equity isnt as important as your implied odds.

#2 D,A,(BC). The Lagtag is probably capable of calling the turn and river with A high or worse due to the drawy nature of the board, but plan on folding the river because he thinks that you think hes pretty much showdown bound when he calls the turn. Also, he's more likely to put in more action with a Q on the flop. The nit could easily have a weak queen, or at least a showdown hand once he calls the turn. I expect to get called a lot by the maniac and the passive guy too.

3. This is a really strange spot. Honestly I just expect to never be good and always muck here. Id guess youre ahead of D the most because he realizes when he needs to bluff and can get away with it.

4. Raise against the spaz; hes bet/calling A high, he has a Q like never based on the way he played it. Just call vs the others; theyre either bet/folding or have you crushed.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:11 PM

The LAGTAG. I would consider 3-betting the nit if he folds too much postflop or if my image is strong vs him.

3-betting vs the maniac and the 50/15 guy is terrible. Against the maniac who plays randomly postflop you shouldnt bloat the pot unless you have SD value and can call him down.

Against the other idiot you shouldnt 3-bet cuz you dont have an eq edge and you wont increase your FE.

I will bet vs all but the maniac.

The bet is most profitable against the nit as he is the one most likely to have a draw.

The 50/15 has a huge range

The LAGTAG would prolly have made more noise with a good draw.

The maniac never folds a better hand but pretty much has any2.

I would guess that my eq is best vs the maniac and then the 50/15 guy. The nits range is heavily biases towards high cards and he is prolly not creative enough to bet 77 here.

I dont think I would raise any of them. If the nit or LAGTAG bets they either have a worse hand or a better hand which isnt folding. The is true to a lesser degree for the maniac and the fish.

EDIT: I'd call vs the LAGTAG and the maniac. Fold vs the nit and the passive fish. I'd expect the LAGTAG to have A high or a counterfeited pp always when he bets here. Possibly the same hand as us.

I'd love a raise the most vs the maniac who will call any 2 and the nit who isnt creative enough to 3-bet a worse hand so I can easily fold to a 3-bet. Not sure about the nit tho, he might have Qx too often here.

EDIT: Raising the nit is silly. He isnt calling with worse hands often enough.

I am also not sure about the LAGTAG. I will likely end up just calling as I would hate being 3-bet.

The passive guy I'd call against as well, but it might be a raise/fold vs him as well.

I cant see why you would ever fold here. The only guy where it should be considered is the nit
Old 09-24-2007, 06:14 PM

I change my answer to #3 to agree with oink
Old 09-24-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The weak tight nit because you will be able to get him to fold the best hand postflop a lot. And by best hand I mean K, Q, J high and sometimes A high depending on the board.

[ QUOTE ]
Assume you just call:

Turn is a J

SB checks..

Out of the players in question 1, who do you have the most profitable bet against? Second most? What are all the players likely ranges right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most profitable bet:
1. The nit (range is probably AK, KT, small pairs. KT will fold, AK and small pairs a small part of the time)
2. Semi-passive (range is probably a ton of gutshots, A high, flush draws, small pairs. Gutshots and nonnut flush draws will fold.)
3. LAGTAG (range is pretty much A high and small pairs. I can't think of a hand a good LAGTAG would play this way that folds the river except possibly KT and T9, which may 3bet the flop.)
4. Maniac (range is like basically any two cards. He's probably calling even busted draws. If he folds you had the best hand.)

[ QUOTE ]
But the river is a Q

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are ahead of the semi passive player most. This is the type of player who will donk bluff frequently, and this is usually a card they will do it on.

LAGTAG has you beat the most here. He is probably value betting A high now that small pairs were counterfeited. He will probably call if you raise here with A high.

I think you should most inclined to raise vs. the semipassive, hoping to fold K high. Though I'm not sure I would raise any of these players here.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not folding vs. anyone. I would be most inclined to raise vs. the LAGTAG and maniac. I would just call the nit and semi passive.

Well, let's see how badly I did...
Old 09-24-2007, 07:04 PM

#1- I wouldn't re-raise any player with this hand.
Player A seems like a logical choice as he will play fit or fold postflop, however he is going to have a far superior hand preflop.
Player B will peel every flop many of which we will miss.
Leaving us in unknown territory on the big streets.
Player C will playback too often and we have no SD value
Player D will read boards too well and also playback too often. Forcing us to fold in a bloated pot.

#2- Player D. He is most likely drawing along with us and may not make the K high call.
Ranges:
Player A- 55+, AT+, KT+, QT+, JT
Player B- Same as Player A
Player C- By description range is huge almost any two
Player D- 22-TT, AK, KT, T9

#3- Players C we are ahead of the most. Players A&B have us crushed. Raise against Player D and his busted draw.

#4- Raise against C as D is never calling unless we're beat. Call against A&D. Against Player B grab the tissues.

Now I get to see how bad I really am.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 PM

1. I'd 3-bet all but the nit. You have 0 edge against a guy who doesn't have K5o in his range here. Against the fish, its close, but I like giving fish action in close spots for metagame reasons.

2. I check behind a lot more than most here. I'd bet only vs. the fish and the nit. Lagtags don't usually fold kt here vs. me--dunno about 27/18 types though.

3. The only people you can beat here are the fish and the maniac. You should def not raise the maniac since he can bluff 3-bet. I think I'd call here. Against the fish you probably have a profitable raise. At first I didn't know wtf to do vs. a lagtag. But then I decided if he's really good he probably expects us to bluff-raise a ton so he can probably beat a bluff-raise. Guess that means folding>calling>raising.

4. I'd raise the maniac for sure. The rest are just easy calls, though its interesting vs. the fish or the lagtag.