Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 07:43 AM

Default Cops who turn thier siren on to avoid congested lights -or just run em

I've recently found myself witnessing several occurrences lately, in which cops ran red lights for one reason or another. Two nights ago, 11pmish coming back from the grocery store, I see a cop make an illegal left-turn on what was green on my side. I was the only car approaching and he had plenty of time to make the turn. He followed it up by using the forthcoming red light as a mere stop sign.

Just over a week ago, I was on my way to the gym around 5pm when I saw a cop put on his lights/siren and go around a semi-busy intersection. He then turns the lights off not half a mile down the road. Maybe he heard an emergency and someone else responded? Fine, my thoughts exactly. Until I see the SAME COP (I know b/c his plates said "Police") pull the same move 4 miles down the road. Busy intersection -> siren on -> clear sailing ->siren off.

I whole-heartedly believe what is being done in both instances is completely unethical. Beyond ethics, is it a complete dick move, or does the Golden Rule apply? Am I being an anal loser for even caring about this or do I have a point that its complete and total [censored]?
Old 07-26-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Cops who turn thier siren on to avoid congested lights -or just run em

[ QUOTE ]
Am I being an anal loser for even caring about this

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, pretty much...you gotta' pick your battles, i think we have bigger fish to fry

Cops put their life on the line everyday to protect and serve, who cares if they use that power/authority to run red lights.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Cops who turn thier siren on to avoid congested lights -or just ru

What if I tell you the areas both ran were suburbia?

They probably do more serving than protecting in these areas.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Cops who turn thier siren on to avoid congested lights -or just run em

Kinda like when they drive 15-20mph over the speed limit for no reason but will pull you over for the same thing!!

Your point is well taken.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:55 AM

Ok let's hate on them for blowing a read light for no apparent reason. Lets show them no respect at all.

Oh but wait... two masked men just ran into my work! "PLEASE HELP ME!!!! SOMEONE CALL 911!!! I NEED HELP!!!".

Who cares if they blow a red light and speed once in awhile?

Oh and when you said he put his lights and sirens on and then turned them off after the intersection, someone else did not respond. Lights and sirens is "Code 3". If you're in code three, than you gotta be there quick.

So please stop bashing the police. I intend to become a Chicago Police Officer in the near future.

KTHNXBYE.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:58 AM

crabs,

if you're in "code 3" and "gotta be there quick" why don't you just leave at least the lights on, instead of only turning them on when you're near a busy intersection?

fwiw, i believe that the chicago police abuse this more than any other police i've ever seen.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 AM

When New Jersey governor Corzine was severely injured in a car crash, the State Police took a lot of flak for speeding and allowing him to ride without wearing a seat belt.

They enforce the law, they are not above it. And one way to make an ass out of those laws is to flout them.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:08 AM

about 5 years ago, while i was living in a small college town in NJ, I was coming home from a gig. It was about 3 in the morning and i pulled up to the traffic liht where i turn to get to my apt. I was so tired and just as i get to the light it turns red. In my head i was thinking i should just go theres noone around. But then my paranoia said, the one time you do this there will be a cop there. So literally two seconds later this cop pulls riht around me no lights on and runs the light. It royally pissed me off so much, and the really annoyin thing is that if i would have followed him and run the light he would have insta pulled me over.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:20 AM

1) Sometimes they don't leave the siren on full-time and just blare it at intersections because they are on their way to official duty, but its not like a bank roberry. Someone had their house broken into, someone was just mugged, etc. Bad examples, but there are times when they don't need to be flying down the road at 100 mph, but still need to get somewhere fast.

Of course, other times they just don't want to wait.

But to the person that is saying who cares if they run a red light, they protect us: That is just dumb. Everytime they run a light, even with siren on, there is a risk. This is an acceptable risk if they are on their way somewhere important, but not if its just not wanting to wait at a light.

Where are you going to draw the line on that?

Who cares if they allow women off for speeding/drug buys/prostitution/petty theft and get a BJ in return?

Who cares if they extort a little money from local businesses, THEY'RE PROTECTING THEM?

Who cares if they rape some locals, they are fighting terrorism to keep America safe? oh sorry, wrong topic, same idea.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:01 AM

f the police