Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: The PPA, lets talk numbers vs results.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The PPA didn't step up for the cool UIGEA poker chips, which pisses me off. That was a huge bang for the buck effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a neat idea.

PPA didn't blow you off. Rather, they didn't go with it because it was perceived to be a negative following Bob Ney's indictment for accepting (real) poker chips. Pappas told me he asked you to contact him about it, but for some reason you both were unable to connect.

I can PM you with more info if you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea had progressed quite a bit beyond the initial concern based on John's own suggestion sometime before this came up in this iteration, John called his the Million Chip March and involved sending poker chips to the Hill. That was nixed because of the Ney mess.

Through Grasshopp3r I was able to get in contact with a chip maker who was willing to work at or near cost on as many chips as we wanted.

Knowing that John had budget concerns, and a desire at one point to hold a game for all who attended the event, I boradened the discussion to include PPA chips for the event which could have then been sold at a nice profit.

Considering even just the regualar wholesale to retail mark-up let alone the value of adding a set of autographs or even a picture of the pros and the buyers of the sets from the people at the fly-in I know there was a nice profit for the PPA with extra unused sets left over.

John given all he does on a regualr basis was just too busy to even fully discuss the idea. In the end the person responsible for just regular chips for the Pros and Hill people failed.

Comparing the two outcomes vs the volunteer effort to get the initial idea to what it really was is something that still pains me.

The chips were beautiful, I would have bought at least two sets myself at a preium to their even retail value.

Yeah chips were found and the event a sucess, but....

D$D
Old 11-09-2007, 07:14 PM

Default PPA Coffee Cups lets talk numbers..........

[ QUOTE ]
I'd especially love a PPA coffee mug to show off at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you asked.

If I can get permission and if there is interest, I looked into it. I priced similar Starbucks $8.95 and regular supermarket unprinted coffee cups $5.25.

15 oz White Ceramic cups. PPA logo in 3 or 4 color one side, "Keep it Legal" and the URL on the other.

Gift boxed and ready before Christmas.

Individual $8.95 plus a buck or two for shipping call it $10.00 delivered to you anywhere in the US.

A dozen or more $6.25 per, again individually gift boxed and shipped together.

All moneys to go directly to the PPA grassroots efforts.

Mock-up pictures Monday.

D$D
Old 11-10-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: PPA Coffee Cups lets talk numbers..........

If you do indeed get permission I will buy one for each coffee drinking member on my Christmas list, regardless of whether or not they play poker.

I like the bumper sticker idea, but I think the coffee mugs would be even better. Someone who sees the logo on the mug is far more likely to start a conversation about it. ("What the hell is the PPA???") It's a double benefit for the PPA: the price of the cup plus the publicity that goes with it. Plus it lets us get the message out without seeming to beat people over the head with it. ("Since you asked, let me explain a little something about the UIGEA...").

Thanks for the effort, D$D. I think you're right on the money with your posts in this thread, although I understand TE's side too (too much too soon with an already heaping workload). The PPA is making great strides lately, but I really hope to see some of these ideas come to fruition in the near future.

IndyFish
Old 11-10-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do indeed get permission I will buy one for each coffee drinking member on my Christmas list, regardless of whether or not they play poker.

I like the bumper sticker idea, but I think the coffee mugs would be even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got permission for the bumper stickers the PPA has something like 10k of them or did at one point. I don't know how many are on cars. There is one on mine.

How many people on your list?

D$D
Old 11-11-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I like the bumper sticker idea, but I think the coffee mugs would be even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got permission for the bumper stickers the PPA has something like 10k of them or did at one point. I don't know how many are on cars. There is one on mine.

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a lot, unfortunately (black sheep and all). 6 - 10 off the top of my head. Didn't see the bumper stickers on the PPA website. Any idea where I can get one?

IndyFish
Old 11-11-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a lot, unfortunately (black sheep and all). 6 - 10 off the top of my head. Didn't see the bumper stickers on the PPA website. Any idea where I can get one?

IndyFish

[/ QUOTE ]

Give Bryan a call Monday. As the PPA owns them.

I have a few extra from the DC Fly-in around here some where if Bryan is unable to help.

D$D