Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Carlos Mortensen first to win WSOP ME and WPT Championship

[ QUOTE ]
if people/companies are looking to add a strong spanish player to a poker team I believe a great player is Raul "el toro" Paez , whos game i respect alot and believe could soon take off....

[/ QUOTE ]

There are major differences between Castellan (Madrin Dialect) Spanish and Latin American Spanish dialects.

The industry currently prefers Castellan Spanish.

FullTiltPoker.NET already has Juan Carlos Mortensen.

I am currently working for Cecilia Reyes to land her a sponsorship, preferably with a "Tier 1" online poker entity (but obviously NOT Full Tilt.)

Being a "strong" player who can speak a language that is "in demand" is NOT even close to being enough to land an endorsement contract.

The player must also have a great personality and be willing to interact with both the media and the spectators.

(There are some exceptions to that rule: Phil Ivey for example.)

With some online sites that have much more corporate cultures, a player must also be considered "low risk", i.e. someone who has never been arrested, and someone who does NOT smoke.

As an agent, I study lots of video from TV poker shows.

I have never watched any piece of video of Raul "el toro" Paez. Until I do, I cannot even begin to consider him as a potential client.

Many online poker entities need to evaluate VIDEO before they can make any decision on a player's sponsorship proposal. No video? Not much of chance of a sponsorship.

--

One other thing: females, particularly photogenic females, are much more marketable because 1) so few women play big buy-in televised tournaments, and 2) females tend to draw the attention of photographers who shoot and post/publish photos, thereby allowing the female endorser to generate more value in terms of viewer "IMPRESSIONS".

Old 04-29-2007, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So how much does he have left after paying off his debts? Also, was he staked for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do know that Erick Lindgren backs Carlos in tournaments. Whether others do or not, I'm not sure. So, he definitely didn't get the full amount.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So how much does he have left after paying off his debts? Also, was he staked for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do know that Erick Lindgren backs Carlos in tournaments. Whether others do or not, I'm not sure. So, he definitely didn't get the full amount.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I was wondering if anybody else knew this. Nice, pretty penny coming E-Dog's way.

Who else is on Lindgren's "payroll" so-to-speak besides Carlos and Gavin? BTW those are 2 really solid horses w/ a great ROI.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:29 PM

This may be a naive question but if both Carlos and Gavin (Smith I presume - a very good player) make so much from tournaments (which they certainly seem to) why do they still need backers?

Again, this may be a naive question yet one which just puzzles me...
Old 04-29-2007, 01:36 PM

They spend a lot of $$$ on buy-ins, travel and accomodations and may not manage their bankrolls very well.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:37 PM

Doesn't Full Tilt provide the buy-ins for Smith and Mortensen?
Old 04-29-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't Full Tilt provide the buy-ins for Smith and Mortensen?

[/ QUOTE ]

While I do not know for certain what Pocket Kings Consulting is paying Gavin and Carlos as "Friends of FullTiltPoker.net", I am almost certain that neither Gavin nor Carlos are being enough to cover all of their buy-ins. Somewhere about 1/4 to 1/2 of their buy-ins to TV events would be my guess.

Carlos is almost certainly in line for a promotion to "Team Full Tilt", as the primary spokesman for FullTiltPoker.NET in Spain, if he wants to carry out the extra responsibilities demanded of primary spokespersons.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:48 PM

Who are the ten players to win a WPT more than once?

Daniel Negreanu, Juan Carlos Mortenson, Howard Lederer, Gus Hansen, Tuan Le, who else?
Old 04-29-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who are the ten players to win a WPT more than once?

Daniel Negreanu, Juan Carlos Mortenson, Howard Lederer, Gus Hansen, Tuan Le, who else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Goering, Mizrachi, Greenstein, Lindgren. I don't think there are any others, unless you are counting tournaments of champions.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:00 PM

Greenstein, M. Mizrachi, Lindgren, Goehring, Benyamine*, Ron Rose*, , Nick Shulman*, Phil Gordon (if you count him winning that UB Pros "tournament" in season 1, like he does).

* - Battle of Champions winners